24.2: Dancing into the Storm

AUGUST

"Ambrose? Are you leaving? Why the fuck are you putting your clothes on?" I yelled almost like an invisible person. It's not an almost. Ambrose really disregarded my entire presence and it's not cool anymore. It's alarming how he was just blocking me off from actually interacting with him. I waited for this for the whole week and I still have to struggle. What the actual fuck.

I became stricken with panic as I watched Ambrose continue to put his clothes on without turning his back to acknowledge my unwanted presence. For a short while, I thought of jumping down below and swim back to the riverbank or climbing down the boulder just to catch up to him. I felt stupid. I chose to climb down instead and I was already rushing towards Ambrose. I picked up my pace even though I'm feeling the hard surface of the rocks and pebbles on the soles of my feet. Slowing down wasn't even an option and I tried bite the pain off.

"Hey, man!" I called out for him. He was still on his back rapidly fixing his belt and by the time I was near him, he was already starting to slip onto his shirt.

I stood behind him just like a ghost. I took a short inhale and exhale and eventually pulled him by the shoulder.

"Why are you shutting me off?" I asked forcing him to face me.

"Get away from me." He spat back and instantly turned his back on me once again.

"No, I'm not going away." I'm already mad and determined to penetrate this invisible wall that he had put up right in between us. I grabbed one of his arm and pulled it as hard as possible that he was forced to face me.

"I said I don't want to talk to you." Ambrose pulled his hand away from my grip and it was strong enough to slip with ease. "You hurt me, August. I really thought you like me but things make it look like you were just playing me." He added and even though I clearly know that wasn't the case, I felt a slight jolt of pain inside my chest.

"I...I.." I felt like I'm out of words to say to him. He was right that I hurt him but that wasn't my intention at all. God knows I really do like him and I'm just stuck in the middle of this crossfire. Rachel forced and attacked me and that's the thing that I have to explain to him but he was being an asshole. "I'm so sorry, Ambrose. I'm here to make things right. Please, let's sit down and have a civil conversation."

"I don't want to sit down and have a civil conversation with you." He trailed right after he turned his back on me. He was about to pick up his jacket but I was quick enough to pull his arm once again.

"Please!" I begged. He was mine to lose and I don't want that to happen.

"What the fuck!!!!" He screamed and now his voice was gritting in pure rage.

Ambrose faced me and I saw every emotion behind his brown eyes. The absence of his mullet just brought out how truly handsome he was; I'm not going to deny that. Putting the good looks aside, whatever's behind his eyes was just profound that I immediately saw right through it. I saw a mixture of sorrow, confusion and most of all, wrath. They all seemed like they've been bottled up inside of him and he doesn't know how to keep up with it.

He inched his way near me and then with a hefty blow, he pushed my average body sending off balance. I felt my butt hit the hard surface of a random rock and it was just as painful as running barefoot on them. I swallowed a bit and opted to ignore the pain. I don't know what washed over me but I felt like Ambrose was going through something that I can't relate to. I guess was just trying to figure what's going on with Ambrose. He's like turning into a formidable storm.

He stopped and just stared at me with such an upset expression. I don't know if he was thinking but nothing changed much to my expectations. He turned his back once again but I was already up. I wasn't aware of what I did but I hugged him from behind. I felt the warmth of his torso and he was frozen for short moment.

"Get away from me, August." He uttered and quite shockingly, his voice was forcefully calm. It was like he's trying to control the anger that's beginning to control him.

"No. I'm going to stay like this until you open up and talk to me." I mouthed out loud making my voice loud and firm with conviction.

Ambrose just ignored me but I just kept my tight hug like I'm afraid of letting him go. I can feel my heart beating and Ambrose's breathing both at the very same damn time. Ambrose grabbed both of my hands and tried to unclasp from the hug. I can feel his raw strength trying to break free from being locked up. I know I'm not as strong as he was but I tried my very best to muster enough strength to keep my hands wrapped around his torso. For the first few seconds, I was winning. I managed to keep my arms wrapped around him as I hugged him. I kept doing what I was doing and Ambrose kept trying his best to untangle me from him. I don't know if he was trying his best or I was just being strong enough.

"August, please. Just let me go." Ambrose was now begging and for the first time, I can hear her voice was cracking up with tears.

"I'm going to let you go if you'd let me talk to you."

There was silence after that. I kept hugging Ambrose from behind and I can already feel every muscle in his body. The skies began to darken and then there was a sudden brush of wind that combed me from behind. I felt shivers from the chilly whip of the wind. Ambrose continued his attempt to break free from me and his last try was charged with brute force that he managed to untangle my arms. He quickly turned around to face me and that's the moment I saw tears cascading down to his cheeks. I felt sorry for him that I took a few steps back. He followed me and before I know it, he already punched me in my jaw. I was thrown off balance but this time I managed to take control at the last minute and I did not fall on the ground.

What was that for? I asked myself in much confusion. I held my jaw and felt the pain but I stayed vigilant. My eyes were still glued at Ambrose as he was about to charge towards me. A quick rush of adrenaline engulfed my body but instead of dodging him, I lunged towards him and now I was hugging him.

I remembered how violence was Ambrose's language. Right from the start, he was thing uptight guy who just wants to fight. I don't talk violence but I'll try my best to stop Ambrose from going berserk. I hugged him tight and he stopped for a short while.

"Get away from me, motherfucker!" He yelled and his voice was a loud sound of wrath. However, I don't feel his action. He was just letting me hug him like he'd been dreaming of this moment for a long while. I hugged him hoping that it would be the pill that would calm his anger down. I could feel his heavy breathing from my ear and even his heartbeat was profound that I could feel it from the hug.

A few moments passed and I really thought I had him under control but I was dead ass wrong. He managed to push me for the nth time. This time he was already preparing to lunge another punch at me but I was agile enough to make my move firsthand. I held both of his hand and I was already kissing him.

I felt his lips on mine and my breathing began to go heavy. I was feeling him and for a brief second he responded on the kiss. But then he moved his face away from the kiss and used his foot to kick me in the stomach. It wasn't a hard kick but it was enough to drive me a bit further away from him.

I ignored everything that Ambrose did to me. The punch and the kick. I can always take everything. It might be painful but that's just physical pain and it would eventually heal. I'm not scared at Ambrose anymore and he taught me that. He was the one who taught me to stop being scared at him and now I'm able to use that against him. I perfectly understand that he was pissed at me but nothing would happen if I get pissed at him too.

I was just transfixed at Ambrose. I was looking at him straight in the eyes and I immediately knew he was a thunderstorm and I might have to dance my way into the storm.