CHAPTER 15.3: STAR-CROSSED

AUGUST

Sitting right in the middle of everyone, I was watching the screen go idle. Everyone's busy looking for a certain song to sing and although I would love to help them all out, I remembered I'm acting the straight guy up in here. I should just probably let them pick and choose whichever song they would like. It's about to get dark anytime soon but the lights in this private karaoke bar is just bright enough. I looked around the entire room and everything doesn't look that much expensive anymore. They're really that quite expensive but perhaps the main reason why they all looked normal to me is because I've been seeing and checking them every single time that I come here.

I sat down quietly on the couch as they flipped the song book. After fifteen minutes of just flipping the pages left and right, they were finally finished listing a short list of songs. Some of these songs are probably the ones that they sang last week and the week before that. I'm not saying that I'm already tired of the same song but I know I will eventually be.

Nicole grabbed the remote and began tapping on the numbers with such ease. By the time Nicole had already entered all the numbers, she grabbed the microphone and went right in front of us. She quickly removed her pastel pink jacket and threw it on the empty part of the couch.

"This song is for both of you love birds!" She began pointing her long painted nails to both Rachel and me. The songs intro began and I immediately know this song is Taylor Swift's Love Story.

I looked at Rachel and smiled at her. She inched her way towards me and I pulled her as close as possible. Her lavender scent quickly kicked my nostrils. We've been hanging this close to each other for several weeks now and I thought my nostrils have already gotten used to this fragrant smell. It's not a bad scent at all but it's just way too strong for me to handle. I tried my hardest to keep still.

Nicole began singing and there goes her good singing skills again. Out of the four of us, she's like the only one who has a really good voice. There are times that she's going off tune but she's definitely not a trained singer and that's all making sense. The voice is there, it's clean and it can reach even the highest notes but she still has to learn that part of her God-given talent.

We were both young when I first saw you
I close my eyes and the flashback starts
I'm standin' there
On a balcony in summer air
See the lights, see the party, the ball gowns
See you make your way through the crowd
And say, "Hello"
Little did I know

Victoria and Rachel both began singing with Nicole. And although they don't have the perfect blending, we are not in a singing competition to begin with. Rachel was resting her head on my chest and I began playing with her hair. I can clearly tell how well she's taking care of her hair. It's smooth and silky and there are no split-ends or whatsoever that might turn me off.

That you were Romeo, you were throwin' pebbles
And my daddy said, "Stay away from Juliet"
And I was cryin' on the staircase
Beggin' you, "Please don't go, " and I said

Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone
I'll be waiting, all there's left to do is run
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess
It's a love story, baby, just say, "Yes"

I know this song. I've been listening to it ever since I heard it and as much I wanted to open my mouth and sing with them, I thought it would be better if I act like I'm not really into this song. Perhaps I was thinking that straight dudes don't like these types of songs.

So I sneak out to the garden to see you
We keep quiet, 'cause we're dead if they knew
So close your eyes
Escape this town for a little while, oh oh

'Cause you were Romeo, I was a scarlet letter
And my daddy said, "Stay away from Juliet"
But you were everything to me
I was beggin' you, "Please don't go, " and I said