18.1: A Secret Affair

AUGUST

The sound of my ringtone was roaring like a thunder that it forced me to wake up from my deep slumber. Opening my eyes felt extremely difficult and even just twitching my eyeballs was making my head pop off. I'm sure this was what they call hangover and now I feel like shit. My eyes had a difficult time on adjusting from the bright morning light that's rushing from the windows. I tried to let the phone call pass by hoping it would end soon but whoever's calling must really be that persistent. I moved my muscles around eventually noticing that I was cooped inside Ambrose's arms. We both fell asleep on the couch and I don't even know how we ended up spooning each other.

Even though I'm starting to reap the feeling of regret, I had a real blast last night. My head was pulsating in agony and some parts are throbbing but I had to take all of the pain in just to reach for my phone.

"Hello," My voice was muffled as if I had consumed too many ice shakers.

"Sweetie, where are you?" The calm voice of Wednesday welcomed my ears essentially waking up my sleepy spirit. "Why is your voice so muffled?" I didn't even look at who's calling and now I'm about to scramble.

I remembered sending my dad a text message that I'll be coming home late and although I never got a response from him, I assumed he's fine with it. I'm pretty sure he's fine with it but the thing was, I didn't come home at all.

"Ahem." I was so quick at clearing my voice. "Sorry, I'm at my friend's house. We had an unexpected overnight." I propped myself and sat down on the couch with Ambrose still sleeping behind me.

"We were worried that you didn't come home last night." My stepmom trailed and I just had to do some damage control.

"Don't worry mom, I'm fine. I just woke up and I'll be coming home in an hour." I spat hoping to bring relief to Wednesday's worries.

"Okay, be sure to come home. I'll be heading to work now and I'm going to leave the key under the floor matt." She replied.

"Okay, take care mom."

"You too. Be sure to come home. Bye now."

The phone call ended which was a huge breath of relief that the conversation was that quick but with that came the throbbing inside my head once again. "Fuck!" I uttered under my breath. I haven't felt this kind of pain even after the previous Friday night's that I've spent drinking with Rachel, Nicole and Victoria. I'm just mostly dehydrated but never had this type of pain. This was all new to me and I know I don't want it. My head was banging in absolute agony and I feel like I've been lifting heavy amounts of gravels and cements for the past hour. My muscles are aching like shit.

I looked at Ambrose and he was looking rather peaceful that it's almost impossible to think that he's a walking mess. I know we had some sort of animosity before but this innocent look on him appeared to be quite convincing that he's not a total bully. His hair was all over the place but that's all because it's already long. I reckon it had grown a few inches from the first time that I saw him. I didn't know I was already smiling while I gazed over him and it was all because I'm happy about the surprising turn of events. This hot bully just confessed his true feelings towards me. Never in a million years that I would think of him actually harboring feelings towards me.

I sat down for a few moments eventually pulling my attention away from the sleeping Ambrose. I opened my Instaglam and scrolled down just to entertain myself. It's still seventy thirty in the morning and I thought it's way too early. I saw some photos taken last night from everybody that I follow. I even received numerous notifications from various people that follows me and they were all tagging me on photos that I'm in. I continued scrolling down until I saw a clip that Nicole had posted on her account. It was the clip of me and Rachel kissing each other and I thought Nicole had the audacity to post this without asking permission first and foremost.

I'm supposed to be mad at Nicole for her irresponsible action but my attention was haphazardly stolen by Rachel and her cheating ass. I still can't believe I saw her kissing Phil. I tried to think of some reasons as to why she did that but I can't think of anything mostly because I'm still feeling this physical uncomfortableness. I've been doing my job as her boyfriend with seamless perfection, not that I'm bragging or being delusional but I know I'm doing a perfect job. I wanted to be mad at her but I know I don't have the right to be mad at her for all the obvious reason. Even though I'm good at my job at playing the part of her hot boyfriend, I clearly know that I don't really love her that I should be upset. Maybe that's the reason why. Perhaps she's starting to notice that my actions towards her were all deliberately fraudulent and lacking the sense of genuineness. Perhaps she already knows that I'm just using her to stay popular hence why she chose to cheat on me. I'm starting to believe that thought but then I remembered she's way too drunk. I even know that she had way too much alcohol than I did that time. I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt and say that it was the alcohol that had made her do it.

I was about to stand up when I felt Ambrose move letting me know that he's already awake. I returned my attention towards him.

"Good morning, how are you feeling?" I was looking down at Ambrose as he slowly opened his eyes. He looked quite innocent and I feel like I've lost all of the fear that I once had for him.

"My head hurts," He lets out with a muffled voice somehow identical to my voice earlier.

"Me too." I replied in blatant agreement. "What happened?" I asked thinking about what happened last night.

"Man, we got really high!!!" He trailed letting out a short laugh.

"I know but was that really the feeling?" I inquired trying my best to recall the feeling of being high from last night. It was honestly good in all fairness but I'm not sure if I want to feel it again. I tried to recall what happened last night but they were all blurry.

"Indeed." Ambrose huffed. "You felt like you're walking on cloud nine, right?"

"I did. I don't quite remember what happened last night but I guess we were seeing things."

"HAHAHA. You bet." Ambrose trailed.

"But you said the mushroom won't have any effect on me since I only took one small piece."

"I did but guess what, I'm wrong." Ambrose uttered as a response subsequently pulling my arm and now I was back inside his big spoon.

"I liked though," I spat holding his arm.

"Can we stay like this for a long while?" Ambrose asked as he tighten his hug.

I didn't give him any response but I stayed inside his big spoon and I feel so much comfort even when I'm still feeling the agony of hangover. I closed my eyes as I felt his hug from behind eventually closing my eyes until I fell asleep.

By the time I woke up I noticed the absence of Ambrose's body behind me. I quickly propped myself up and sat down on the couch as I quietly panicked on the inside. I looked around the house, the kitchen and all the space that my eyes could reach and I saw no sign of Ambrose.

"Ambrose?" I yelled calling for his name but there was no response. I grabbed my phone and checked the time. It was still ten thirty and I thought I had slept for a good eight hours.

I stood up and started walking around looking for Ambrose. I walked straight towards the window not really sure what I'm doing. I saw the front yard and there was nothing but the trees and his motorcycle and the view of the gate. The feeling of being alone inside this house was freaky frightening that I'm starting to feel like I'm left for dead inside a haunted house. Some of the furniture looked very old fashioned and it's quite creepy staring at them, but the sight of the newer ones was at least giving a good balance. I walked towards the opposite side of the house. I looked outside the window and I saw a grave under this black alder tree that looked like it's been there for centuries. Still, there was no sign of Ambrose at all.

"Ambrose, where the fuck are you?" I yelled once again and voice echoed throughout the hollowness of the house.

I continued walking thinking that he might be upstairs. I found thishallway leading towards the stairs. I went on my feet and I saw this hugepainting of what I believe was a painting of the Haylock family. I was verymuch intrigued of the painting and stopped to get a longer look at it.