24.7: Dancing into the Storm

AUGUST

The pungent odor of garlic and onions being sautéed had the inevitable audacity to invade my nostrils and it did nothing but make feel famished than I already am. My stomach was churning like I haven't eaten all day and I can only swallow my saliva for a bit of relief. I was preparing the chicken on the kitchen sink while Ambrose was standing in front of the stove waiting for the garlic and onions to be sautéed to perfection. I had this feeling that he was as hungry as I am. We have decided to cook something for dinner and I'm more than glad to do this with him. We both know that we are not good at cooking but there's no one else here to do that other than ourselves. We had already cooked ramen stew together before but I never thought something like that would happen again. I'm still trying to let everything sink in. I was smiling while doing my job and I just had to control myself.

Once I was finished preparing the chicken, I stared at Ambrose's back for a brief while and I thought this was hell of a crazy day, not just for me but for the both of us. I can't still believe that we were just beating each other a few hours ago and now we are both helping each cook a meal for dinner. That's how fast things have changed.

Just by looking at Ambrose from behind makes me want to hug him and cuddle him but I just had to control my urges. Happiness and contentment are taking over my body and I don't know how long this was going to last but I'm just going to bask in its glory for as long as possible. I tried to convince myself that a lot of cuddling would eventually happen sooner or later and it worked almost the moment I thought about it.

"Hmmm, that smells really good." I huffed out the moment I moved a little bit closer to Ambrose.

"You know what smells better than this?" Ambrose teased as he slowly snaked his free arm around my shoulder.

"What?"

Ambrose quickly brought his nose closer to my ear and although it tickles a bit, I stood still. "You." He whispered somehow with a seductive brush to it and I almost shit myself.

"Let's just cook this chicken stew, I'm really famished." I replied in my lowly attempt to downplay the happiness and excitement that was already slapping my soul.

Cooking the chicken stew was just as easy as what the cookbook says. At least that's how I felt while helping Ambrose. After the first few instructions it was finally time to bake it for a long forty-five minutes and I just can't help my growing hunger but rush the process. Cooking was just as complicated as my relationship with Ambrose. However, I thought it wouldn't be as perfect and delicious if it was rushed. It might even be undercooked and I'm not a huge fan of undercooked semi-raw food to be honest. I ended up having to suffer from the hunger and even smelling the odor was killing me. Ambrose was my saving grace though. Just having him right beside me was more than enough for me. We both sat at the couch while waiting for the chicken stew to be cooked.

"Do you want to watch anything?" Ambrose urged as he grabbed the remote control.

"I mean why not." I replied as I began to feel the comfort of the couch. I would've loved to suggest something fun to watch but my hunger was just making my brain empty.

After snatching the remote control, Ambrose laid on the couch and quite surprisingly used my thighs as his own pillow. He looked up at me and I couldn't help myself but stare at this gorgeous piece of shit. I'm allowed to call him that. He looked rather innocent and somehow the storm that was brewing behind his eyes a few hours ago had melted to nothingness. I don't know if it was because of me, perhaps it was. I don't know if it was because I really tried to step in and tried my best to calm him down and break the walls that he'd built over the past week. I don't want to take the whole credit, if anything, his feelings also played a part. But if I was really the reason for this calm innocence that has dawned upon him then I'm more than happy that I did danced through that formidable storm.

I'm sure there's more to this tranquility and innocence that I'm observing on Ambrose. He can't just be this violent juvenile who's built up an impenetrable wall in order to protect himself. He can't just be this naïve bully that knows nothing but to pick off on others before they pick on him. He can't just be this typhoon that only exist to rampage and destroy everything on its path. I'm sure there's more to Ambrose Haylock, perhaps a deeper, more vulnerable side that's just waiting to be seen. I want this relationship to last longer for me see all of that. I'm growing more intrigued to get to know the other parts of the one Ambrose Haylock. I want to see all of the good things that he could offer. I want to see the best part of him as oppose to the rotten parts that I've already seen, felt and experienced.

"This was really a scar huh?" I mouthed as my fingers delicately traced the slit on one of his eyebrows.

"Yeah, I think I told you the reason why I got this." He replied as he let me trace my fingers on his eyebrows. Ambrose was becoming more natural when there's only the two of us in the room. I'm fully aware of the fact that he's not that good at socializing but if anything, this time was giving him the right space to just be himself.

"You did. You used to play slingshot." I trailed trying to recall that moment.

"You remembered." Ambrose's eyes seemed to twinkle. It was weird holding his head, it's not completely bald, there's like a few millimeters of hairs left. I rubbed my hand against his head and the short hair just tickled my bare skin.

"Of course, I do."

I was completely transfixed by Ambrose's face. At a much closer look, there are few scars on his forehead and jawline. You can't really see them from afar but they were there. Those are undoubtedly the battle scars he obtained from the fights that he'd been in. I can't imagine how many fights he had gone through.

I know that violence was the language that Ambrose speaks and that's what most people had taught me when I first came here. I didn't know who he was then but everyone was quick to fill me in at how terrible of a person he was. Quite frankly, I've experienced how shitty he can be but I have a feeling there's really a better part of him.

I know what Ambrose was capable of every time anger takes over him, but what if he speaks other language too?

The thought was reverberating inside my head. What if he knows a few other languages too? What if he's willing to learn the language of love and he chose me to be his teacher? That's a bit of a stretch for me but still, it's likely. Other than his expert familiarity of violence, there are a lot of things out there for him to discover.

"Are you always this good-looking?" I declared and it's already too late when I realized the words that I just let out. That's a straight up compliment that I wasn't even planning on telling him that but I already said it.

"I don't know. I just woke up like this." Ambrose grinned and I was taken aback by the fact that something like this came out of his mouth. He's starting to open up with this witty response and I guess I'm going to do a lot of complimenting from now on.

"Haha, very funny." I was quick to look away fully aware that I'm already blushing from what I've just said. Ambrose's response was also a part of that.

"What? You don't believe me?" Ambrose went on refusing to accept my response.

"I don't." I replied just to play with him.

He quickly propped himself up and now he was sitting right beside.

"Are you always this cute?" He quickly inched his face near my face and I was shocked for a moment. I was just blushing but now I was already feeling a bit feverish.

"Get your face away from my face." I uttered and as I pushed his face away but he was just being stubborn.

"No shit, you're even cuter than the last time I saw you." He spat and I just don't know if I should scream in excitement right in front of his face. I tried to keep my cool.

I zipped my mouth and deprived Ambrose of the response that he was asking for and he had no other choice but to pull his handsome face away from me. This was getting too much, not that I don't like it but I don't want to feel super happy. And I'm really starting to fall deeper into the Ambrose trap.

"Give me your hand," Ambrose just snatched my hand, slowly filled up the space in between my fingers with his own fingers and then put it onto his chest.

I felt his heart beating like a drum, almost thunderous and that's themoment my heart began thumping as well. He looked at me in the eye and just aswe are about to kiss, the alarm clock that we had set up just blasted whichmeant our chicken stew's finally ready.