17.2: The High and the Wasted

AUGUST

"What are you doing here?" Ambrose asked and he seemed to be quite surprised to see me here.

If I wasn't already drunk, I would've probably felt a whole new different kind of feeling the moment I recognized that Ambrose was the one who pulled me away through that crowd. I would've had a small panic attack, but that not even the case. I'm under this magnificent cloud of vodka and punch and I'm feeling real hyper which meant that I'm all ready for anything.

I looked at Ambrose real close even though my sight is a bit flashy at this point. His hair seemed to have grown a few inches longer that the last time I saw him this quite close. The slit on his left eyebrows seemed to be permanent. Or maybe that slit is either natural or he just kept it consistently shaved.

"Uhm, partying?" There was a moment of silence before I eventually opened my mouth to speak. I wasn't sure if I should act cool around him considering the fact that we haven't talked to each other in almost a month. I instantly remembered the last time we had a real conversation was when he took to this secret spot by the river.

"Of course," Ambrose nodded, probably realizing that I came here to live my teenage life and party just like everyone else. "I'm assuming you came here with Rachel?"

"Yeah, we were having karaoke when Marlon invited Nicole." I replied.

"That jerk," Ambrose mumbled under his breath before eventually raising the bottle of beer on his hands and taking a long gulp from it.

"Marlon?" I asked. "How was he a jerk?"

"He likes Nicole but he's never had the courage to go and talk to her."

"So that was the alcohol who invited Nicole then," I trailed.

"Maybe." Ambrose spat. "Or it could the shrooms."

"The shrooms?" My curiosity went on an upward stream the moment I heard the word shrooms. I remembered Nicole giving me a mushroom like thingy earlier and this could be it.

"Yeah, dried mushrooms." Ambrose answered. "They make you high."

"Fuck," I mumbled under my breath thinking I just had one of those. "I think I might have eaten one of those." My eyes seemed to grow big at the sudden realization that I just had an edible. I thought it was just a weird snack like dried mangoes.

"Well, shit. You'll be flying high sometime later," Ambrose was already chuckling.

"Nicole just gave me one earlier. I'm guessing Marlon gave her some. Oh my fucking god, am I going to..." I was about to go on full panic mode now. I know I'm in heat because of the alcohol but I'm starting feel like I'm being heated inside a microwave oven.

"Calm your shit down, August." Ambrose uttered and he grabbed my hand. "You said you just had one, right?"

"Yeah just a tiny one,"

"That won't take effect." Ambrose shook his head almost confidently.

"How'd you say so?"

"Shit, I don't know." He shook his head. "I just had four or five of those and I'm still feeling normal." Ambrose admitted and that's more than enough to give me a huge breath of relief.

Ambrose held one of my hands and started pulling me. "Follow me,"

"Where are you taking me?" I inquired with such curiosity. Ambrose easily pulled me but it's only because my body was letting him.

Ambrose pulled me towards the back of the house where there's a mini garden filled with different kinds of flowers and vegetables. There were a few lamp posts on four corners of the garden giving this dim glow that I thought was beautiful. Ambrose ushered me towards this old metal bench that seemed to be here since the 90's. We both sat right beside each other and for a moment, there was grave silence as we stared at the flowering beans.