〽️👁‍🗨 Chapter 68 : Mom Instinct.

- A few things now, my Stella.  –  Lan Huan said seriously.

- Yes, Master Lan?

- I expect to be spending very little time at home in the next weeks. I have taken on a new case.  –  he grumbled.

- Not very smart.  –  she mumbled, not too happy about it  –  it meant extra fatigue for her employer.

- Yea, this time it's serious and could not be helped. But it is an easy one, a very straightforward one.  –  he sighed a little, remembering the deal he had just made with the Devil, and wondering quietly what price Mikey would want from him.

- I see.

- The point is, darling...  -  he hesitated for a second.  –  From now on, I want you to lock the door and set the alarm too, while you're here. Unless I'm home. Just make a habit out of it. Promise me.

She bit her lip, but nodded.

- I am quite sure it all will be just fine.  –  he now smiled to calm her down.  –  But just in case.

- Is this because of... the ... the... El asesino?  –  she whispered.

 El asesino?  –  she whispered

Lan Huan blinked. Hmm.  Victor was the last thing in his head now.

- Yes, yes, dear. Things are getting a little heated. Yes.  –  he lied smoothly.

- Do I still come... thrice a week? Twice a week? If you're not going to be living... here?

- Oh.  –  he laughed.  -   I will be living here, my Stella, but I expect to be spending a lot of time at the office... It is just too far away... And also... well... hopefully... I'll be... ummm... spending time at my boyfriend's flat.  –  he winked at her playfully and she blushed.

- I see...

- Now... I am not sure how Christmas will go... My...  -  he hummed thoughtfully for a second.  –  Someone close to me is in hospital right now, and I think celebrating this year will be a little... Hmmm.

She just nodded again and didn't ask any questions. She knew that Master Lan was not big on holidays anyway.

- Then, there is the proverbial family dinner... and my trip to Taiwan... So...

She looked sad now. 

She knew really well just how this monthly torture upset her favorite Master Lan. She had never seen Madam Lan, but from what she'd heard  –  she was certain she didn't approve of her.

- Yes, sir.

- Can you perhaps help me with the dry cleaning? And perhaps with packing?  –  he grinned awkwardly  –  those were skills beyond him,  household chores were a terra incognita  that was forever Estella's territory.

She smiled now. This wasn't her first rodeo; she had packed Master Lan's suitcase before.

- No worries, sir. It shall be done. I am going to take all the dirty laundry today anyway. Juan will be picking me up today at 6.

- Ooh.  –  Lan Huan was startled again at the mention of his maid's son's name  –  it just sounded like his own so much.

- Yes, sir.  –  she noticed the shudder, but did not comment.

- Ayyy, dammit!  –  he suddenly remembered and frowned.

Estella only raised an eyebrow. 

Just like any mom, she didn't quite approve of swearing. In any circumstances. And, in general, her Master Lan paid attention to this unwritten, unspoken rule between them.

- Sorry, sorry.  –  he mumbled now, a little ashamed, as if apologizing to his own mother.  –  Perhaps you guys can give me a lift...  -  he grumbled unhappily. I need to fetch my car... My poor baby!  –  he wailed now, utterly miserable.

- Hmmmpf.  –  she puffed, expecting details, eyebrow still raised.

- Yea... OK, alright!  –  he blushed deeper now under the strict expectant gaze.  –  I was a little... reckless today, OK? But I had a very important meeting!  –  he tried to make excuses.  –  So... my poor baby got... towed off... Ahhhh!  –  he sighed melodramatically, truly missing his car.

- Hmmmm

- Hmmmm.  –  a judging huff.

- I need to save my car, my Stella!  –  he whimpered now.  –  Will you guys give me a lift to town?

The middle-aged woman looked at him critically. 

He was tired; it had been rare that she had seen him so tired,  even after a crazy night of partying or debauchery. And she knew it all  –  after all, she had been the one to clean after him... after them.

But today there was more. There was a heavier sadness in his eyes, something more than the usual sorrow that he sometimes  –  rarely  –  let show, when he believed nobody was watching. Something had happened, something personal. The car was just an excuse.

She realized that he most probably just didn't want to be here all alone.

- Sir, if I may...  -  she said meekly after a moment's reflection.

He gaped a little, but nodded, confused, and watched her walk a little away from him, leaving her tea get even colder, and making a phone call.

*****

Sources:

https://twitter.com/TheArtidote/status/1550166850193051648

https://www.instagram.com/guillermolorcagarcia/

https://www.motor1.com/news/557270/gunther-werks-porsche-speedster-911/