〽️👁‍🗨 Chapter 11: Wolf Moon.

Lan Huan knew that the moment he set foot outside of the building, the press would surround him like vultures, expecting news, details, interviews. So he stayed late.

His team, each single one of the three, had sent him a report immediately after their lunch meeting, and he had read through it all. The D.A. wanted the death penalty, hungry for the excellent PR and all the publicity, eager to feed the masses with blood and crushed bones in return for all the atrocities the society had to read about in the press for the last 8 months so far. And thus, he was frowning. It was too much, but he knew why. The pressure on the D.A's office from all the media and most of the society was enormous. There were people protesting and organizing daily stake-outs of sorts around the building of the Court, and the prison even; the crowd was chanting cruel words, hungry for blood.

He sighed and stretched in his chair. His head was hurting from the staring at the computer screen all day long. He got up and approached the French window, now looking straight down. Down at the... bar.

He knew exactly when Jiang Wanyin's shifts finished. Did he come up here just in hope to... maybe... see him leave work? Maybe... with her?  Again?

He had to let it go. 

Jesus! He really had to. 

This was torture.

He looked up. His office was on the 20th floor and the sky looked close, closer than the Death&Co. bar. No full moon, but one couldn't possibly tell  –  the city lights shone bright even at 4 a.m., this was the city that never slept.

- It will pass.  –  he mumbled under his nose.  –  I will forget. Everyone will forget.

He shook his head and forced himself to think about something else.

***

Wangji.

His brother's behavior yesterday had been nothing short of suspicious. Was it all a joke or was he in love for real?  He wasn't a moody teenager any more, and he rarely exhibited such strong emotions, unlike him himself.

Yes, yes, he was pretty sure his Di was in love! 

He grinned, readily imagining all the jokes he could tease him with. Was she blond, he wondered? Or dark-haired? Tall? Or short? Was she pretty?  He had no idea what his brother's type was. 

Yet.

- Wangji, brace yourself!  –  he sniggered.  –  Tomorrow is the day!

***

He drove back home quite late, and put up some porn channel while he was having dinner. It was... boring. He knew he had long become desensitized to it, so he watched distractedly. Sex, however, was a great stress-relief and he shortly wondered whether to call for an escort. One of the expensive ones. One of those who were trained and ready for just about anything, just the way he liked it done sometimes. Was he in the mood for it?

Or maybe... maybe Mikey?

He sighed and threw the empty bowl on the table, irritated. He couldn't. How could he? 

Would they ever find someone whose skin was milk, whose eyes were honey, whose voice was music, whose smile was summer? Which agency should he call? Which number?

No.

He took a shower, and dried his hair, and it was 3 a.m. again. Who would you call at 3 a.m.? Who'd listen to your suffering in the middle of the night?

He donned a robe and stepped outside, too sure that the lane, running around his house, was just as clean and safe as the thick Persian carpet in his living-room, taking a short walk by the pool. It was freezing cold, but he ignored that. He sat down heavily on one of the luxurious chaise-lounges, and looked up at the sky.

- I want to be a wolf. I want to howl at the moon. I want to eat you up... Wanyin...

***

NOTE:

Inspiration for this chapter's title:

Type O Negative - "Wolf Moon"