〽️👁‍🗨 Chapter 67: People Who Bring You Food Are Important.

Lan Xichen exited the building slowly, feeling totally drained, not even suspecting that his brother was just 10 meters away from him, in a dark room, writing down his testimony grumpily. So, he dialed Wangji's number, needing to talk to him, but, of course, he never picked up.

Lan Huan sighed and raised his hand to stop a taxi. When the driver asked for the address this time, he just mumbled gruffly:

- Get me home.

The man nodded wisely; he had known stranger sentences in his lifetime, so he just drove on, judging by the expensive clothes and shoes that this particular client  was probably more than capable of footing the bill.

***

Sitting in the back, Lan Huan finally relaxed, taking his time to think  –  he knew it was going to be a long ride. He tried Lan Zhan's number again  –  but the phone just rang and rang. Obviously, he was doing something important. 

Or he was just ignoring him. 

Stubbornly.

The brat! 

Too often, especially lately, Lan Huan could swear that the brat did not care at all about how he felt! Yesterday in the hospital he had looked as pale as death, and he knew unmistakably that he was in a bad place right now. He craved to be able to hold him, touch him again, assure him that everything will be just fine... Bring some stability in his life, bring him some consolation...

Consolation. 

And who was going to console him? 

His thoughts now bounced towards Jiang Cheng and his poisonous words today. Why would he say all this? Lan Huan had truthfully believed that this kind of difference between them didn't matter to Wanyin. Money was so unimportant! 

He thought back... 

It was the restaurant! His stupid, reckless choice of a restaurant!  Why had he done this?! Was he trying to impress his new lover? This was not a random woman  –  why was he doing all the wrong things: buying him jewelry, bringing him to fancy places, expensive flowers, chocolate...? These were wooing presents for a lady!

He knew a lot of boys who would have been more than happy to receive those as well...  And he had been quite certain that Jiang Wanyin would be too. But he... he was more complicated.  Lan Huan had underestimated him. Unlike San Ji, who was impressionable and easy to please, Jiang Cheng was impressed by... Hmm, he was impressed by gestures, not objects.

Lan Huan blushed.

He should have thought about all these things before, and not after!

He tried to justify his actions with all the hectic and unpredictable events from the last couple of weeks, but this was a lame excuse. He had no excuse! It was still a small consolation indeed that A-Cheng had liked some of his presents. The bracelet that he was sure his lover was wearing non-stop now... the chocolates that were his screensaver... their kisses under the full wolf moon...

He blushed some more, suddenly shy. 

How different was this love from the old one! How much stronger! How wonderfully magical!

***

He bit his lips and took his phone out, almost ready to call him  this time. But then he remembered that he was at work, and his phone was probably away from him... Him, behind the counter... He was awfully tempted to just ask the driver to turn around and drive him back to the bar so that he could just secretly steal a glance at him  through one of the massive French windows of the Death&Co.... Just that. To see him. To watch him.  Just to catch a smile.