〽️👁‍🗨 Chapter 20: Alone I Break.

- Can we... Can we talk? Please?   -   Jiang Wanyin asked shyly, blushing, and making Lan Huan blush too.

He only nodded and, amazed, followed him outside.

The trio were watching them go outside the bar, now standing in the cold and discussing something heatedly  –  they could see them pretty well through the huge windows of the bar

The trio were watching them go outside the bar, now standing in the cold and discussing something heatedly  –  they could see them pretty well through the huge windows of the bar. It was only 4 p.m. and there weren't too many people inside, and not much traffic outside. Not yet.

- Do you think those two are banging each other?  -  Katherine mumbled, sipping on a glass of white wine.

- Uh, I hope so!  -  Gao Xi grunted.  –  The boss has been so tense lately! He definitely needs it... Some good shagging! Damn, I need it too!  –  he winked at her lewdly.

She rolled her eyes, but paid attention more to what Du was going to say. He was observing carefully, absolutely focused, and she was wondering whether he perhaps was trying to read their lips.

- No. No.  –  he mumbled unhappily.  –  Not yet. It's in their body language. But the boss is still... very much... lost... I am not sure about the boy. He looks... sort of... straight.

Both of them laughed at that, as if it was a joke, and so he turned to face them now, a little surprised by that reaction. He hadn't meant it as a joke at all, he was stating what he believed to be a fact. It was one of his concerns, as Lan Xichen had been extremely distracted these past couple of days. And he had been distracted by pretty boys in the last two years, no less!

- I am not sure you understand.  –  he grumbled, fixing his glasses better on his nose.  –  This could ruin him. Do you remember what a wreck he was last year? His last birthday? That bastard drove him almost crazy!

- I remember.  –  Kath grumbled too, frowning.  –  He was so pretty! But such a bitch! Jesus, so much drama!

- This one has secrets... I am absolutely sure of it.  -  Du Shuangyu said thoughtfully.  –  It is very obvious in all of his behavior. He is very... guarded. Good reflexes too. I am not sure he would ever let Lan Huan in...

- Du, you must become a profiler for the FBI!   -   Gao Xi joked, but his eyes were also focused on the sunlit French window.

- Hmmm.

***

- I'm sorry...  -  Jiang Cheng started, blushing, but then he got a grip, and shuddered a little because of the cold.

- Are you cold? Here! Let me give you my jacket...  -  Lan Xichen was already taking off his suit's jacket.

- No! Please! We won't be long. I am not cold, no!  -  Jiang Cheng was terrified.

Lan Xichen looked disappointed, but still asked:

- What is it? Why talk here?  –  he look a quick look back towards the bar, and noticed that his colleagues were gawking at the them. Logically.

Jiang Wanyin wondered how to start. What if he was wrong?

- I... Well... The boss called us last night and said that some footage... CCTV footage... has been taken away by the police... And I wondered... If you know... something about this... -  he blurted out hurriedly, shivering, in just his shirt.

- I do.  –  Lan Huan interrupted him.  –  I asked a friend to get it.

- You did?!   -   Jiang Wanyin grew pale.  –  I specifically asked you not to call the police!  –  he growled aggressively now.

- Why?  –  Lan Xichen raised an eyebrow.  –  You were attacked. The police should handle this, it was a crime!

- Lan Xichen!!!  –  he yelled, annoyed and scared now.  –  Why can't you just let it be?! Why can't you leave me alone??? Why must you meddle in everything, all the time?! I told you! No hospitals, no police!

- But I...  -  Lan Xichen tried to explain.

- Shut up!!!  –  he hissed, furious.  –  Just shut up and get lost! Can you do that?! Can't you just leave me alone?!?

Lan Huan was gaping. Why was he so upset? What was wrong with reporting a crime to the police?

- I... I...

- You're only making it worse...  -  Jiang Cheng whimpered, giving up on being mad  -  the man, standing opposite him was just staring at him with innocent puppy eyes.   –   You are making it so hard...

The young lawyer didn't know what this meant. He didn't know what the tears in his crush's eyes meant. But he understood his words too well.

- I'll leave you alone.  –  he whispered.  –  Forgive me.

Jiang Wanyin gasped and, brushing the tears from his eyes, he watched him go away, leaving his team behind to foot the bill. There was so much hurt in his voice, in those two last words, such sadness in his eyes...

Jiang Wanyin doubted he'd ever forget it.

****

Note:

Inspiration for this chapter's title:

Korn - "Alone I Break"

Sources:

https://luxatic.com/the-top-10-most-luxurious-cafes-in-the-world/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3GA2d-J2_A