〽️👁‍🗨 Chapter 10: (3) + (1)

The next day Lan Xichen went to work early in the morning  –  he couldn't sleep anyway  –  and just straight up locked himself in his office. 

He had to stop thinking about it, and he couldn't. He needed to work, to work hard, so that he could forget.

He turned off his phone, and buried himself in paperwork  –  suspect interviews and depositions, photo materials and print-outs of personal phones' information. All the evidence was circumstantial at best, but all the other suspects had solid alibis too. It was going to be a brutal one, this one.

***

- Kath?

Gao Xi had decided that just calling her would be quicker. 

He had no doubts that Katherine was up, even though it was 7 in the morning; she was not one of those girls who liked to sleep in and be lazy (like himself, huh). Because of her good looks, most people underestimated her, but not him. To him, she was fascinating.

 To him, she was fascinating

- What's up?  –  she purred on the line

He bit his lip, but decided to be professional about it and ignore her tone, which unmistakably suggested some degree of sexual innuendo.

- The boss is in today. Like, full time. But... Kath, it's bad.  –  he mumbled.

- What is it this time, dammit? Why is it that the most brilliant people are always the craziest?!   –  she huffed, taking a lazy sip off her coffee.

- I know, right?!  –  he agreed immediately, rolling his eyes.  –  Always drama!

- Mm, are you at the office already?  –  he could hear her smile over the phone; she approved of his words, and it made his heart skip a beat.  –  Am I to be impressed, Gao Xi? Are you my fucking competition now?

- I am.  –  he grinned, matching her mood immediately.  –  I have always been your competition, darling! I know that's just the way you like it!