Thunderstorm

September 2021

I stared straight up at the ceiling above me, listening to the storm that was going on outside. Each time a thunderclap echoed out I would sink further down into the matress and pull my duvet further up over my nose. I hated loud sounds, I had always been scared of them for some weird reason.

Another thunderclap sounded out, sounding like it was just above the house, making me quiver as I quickly pulled my duvet further up over my head. There was no way I was gonna get any sleep tonight if this storm continued.

After a long series of thunderclaps I could only hear the rain cascading down outside. I took this as my safezone and carefully sat up in bed and slowly crawled down from my bunk. I had barely taken two steps in the floor before another thunderclap made me fall down to sit on the floor and hold my hands over my ears.

"Ji?" the whisper was faint, but loud enough for me to hear it through my hands.

I hesitantly looked towards Jungwon's bed, where he had proped himself up on his elbow and frowned over towards me, his eyes barely open. I'm actually pretty sure one was closed if I had to be honest. I slowly removed my hands from my ears.

"What are you doing down there?" Jungwon muttered, immediately getting followed up by another thunderclap, louder than the others.

I quickly covered my ears once more and buried my face in my knees, trying to keep myself from crying out of panic. I was so bad at loud sounds, I would always get panicky whenever we did performances and there was those canons. But I always played it off quite quickly afterwards, but right now it was just too much. There were too many loud sounds right after each other.

"You should've come down to me when you realized it was a thunderstorm," Jungwon quietly scolded as I felt myself get lifted up from the ground, "I'll protect you."

I felt him carefully place me down on his bed before laying down beside me, and arm under my head as he threw his duvet over both of us.

"Come here, you big baby," he muttered and pulled my head onto his chest before beginning to rub circles on my back, "everything is alright, it's just thunders."

I let out a small hum and just nodded before moving my hands from my ears, starring straight into his chest. I tried concentrating on the soothing circles he was rubbing on my back.

As another thunder clap echoed out I flinched and burried my face in his chest and grabbed onto the materials of his shirt. I was desperately trying to calm my breathing down as I tried to remove my thoughts from the thunderclaps.

"Try and focus on me," Jungwon softly spoke as he placed his hand on my cheek and rubbed his hand back and forth, "just me."

"Okay..." I muttered, nodding as I placed my forehead against his chest.

As another thunderclap echoed out I flinched once again, making him tighten his arm, that laid under me, around my waist and rub his other thumb over my cheek.

"It's okay," he hummed at me, "it's alright. Just try and sleep."

"Okay," I muttered and nodded once more.

I hesitantly dared wrap one of my arms around him, making him let out a small laugh as I dug my face back into his chest once more.

"I'm protecting you," Jungwon muttered and placed a kiss on the top of my head, "I promise you that."

I slowly nodded before he began humming some lullaby sounding melody for me as he ran his hand through my hair in a soothing manner. I could feel myself slowly get more and more drowsy and calm as he continued to calm me down in the way he knew best.