Jiyeon's Training

Enhypen Radio Interview, January

After a small intersection, in our radio interview, we all sat down once again in our seats and placed our headphones on, as the host readied the interview questions once again.

"I'm back once again with Enhypen to continue our radio interview of them. This second round we'll speak of training," the host announced, "and I think the training that might have confused most people is Jiyeon's. So could you maybe explain your whole training period of becoming an idol, and with all the other training you've gotten."

"Ah, of course," I nodded, "my mom signed my brother and I up for gymnastics at a very young age. I think we were either two or three, it was just those cutesy gymnastics where you roll around and such. Then when I turned... five I wanted to start doing rhythmic gymnastics, and around that time my brother started artistic gymnastics as well. With doing rhythmic gymnastics I also began taking dance classes around the age of 7. It started off as just ballet classes, but then I began adding on with other dance styles over the years till I turned... 11. Yes it was 11," I replied and did a small frown as I tried to recall everything, "at that time I went to an audition for the Royal Ballet School in Copenhagen, to which I got accepted."

"But you trained both ballet and gymnastics at the same time, didn't you?" the host questioned and I nodded.

"So when I started at the Ballet School. I had Ballet classes from 5am to 8am, then we had a normal school day from 8am to 3pm. Then we had another two hours balletclass until 5pm. Then... how was it? Right, I ate dinner after 5pm, and then I went to train my gymnastics from 6pm to 10pm. I would go back to my dorm and fall asleep again around 10.30pm," I explained to them and they nodded once more, "then I had in the summer of... 2018 or 19... maybe it was both, I don't remember. Then I was sent to a gymnastics camp in Russia over the summer vacation. I became a trainee back in November of 2019... I think. Uh... I began competing here in Korea in January, and by February I began training with the olympic team. Then the Olympics last year were pushed to this year, and I accepted the offer of going on I-Land."

"So back in Denmark, you trained from 5am to 10pm each day?" the host questioned and I hesitantly nodded.

"Or... I didn't have balletclasses in the weekends, so then I would train gymnastics from 10am to around... 5pm. So I would train seven hours in the weekends," I nodded at them.

"There must be a lot of food to fuel all that," the host commented in surprise, making me let out a small laugh.

"It actually wasn't that bad," I shook my head, "I ate normal sized meals, and... I actually don't think I snacked that much... I did however, I had these small nutrition bars that I would eat when I woke up, before ballet classes, and then when I walked back and forth between gymnastics training," I explained, "but I was really skinny back then. I was really skinny."

"We saw... yeah, we saw a picture from one of her competitions back in Europe, and she looked really malnourished," Jay pointed out and I nodded in agreement with the other boys, "I just think it was impressive she never fainted."

"I really don't know how I managed to do so much sport," I shook my head, "but I think it was because. I was part of two different atheltic worlds at the same time. In ballet you have to be really skinny and lean, it's a very... perfectionistic world. Whereas the gymnastics world don't mind if you have some body fat. So I was sort of stuck in between these two worlds, and I didn't know how to manage it. Because at the ballet school we got food to keep us going throughout the ballet day, but I never thought about food that would give me energy for my gymnastics practice. So I never really managed to balance my nutrition at that time."

"But it is better now, isn't it?" the host questioned and I nodded.

"Oh yeah, definitely," I assured, "Sunoo and I often eat together throughout the day. He wants to diet lately, and I want to gain some weight. So if we eat equally as big portions we'll both benefit from it. I try to size my portions up to his, and he try to size his down to mine. So we meet at the middle and I gain weight from the same meal he would lose from. Because of our size difference."

"It's really well thought out," Jake complimented as Sunoo and I nodded in agreement.

"So you don't diet?" the host turned to me.

"I did, before our debut," I nodded, "but it was a diet the company had given me, and they didn't really know much about how my body works, so I lost a lot of weight in a really short time. But I've gained most back by now. I don't really wanna diet, I wanna eat whatever. Besides I am a very active person, so I burn off most of it, throughout a day."

"It's incredible how she always has energy," Heeseung sighed, making me let out another laugh, "she can get overworked if she is mentally overworked, but is she isn't mentally overworked she'll ask me, late in the evening, if I wnat to go for a run with her. It is insane."

"We do hear her say that she is tired, and see her yawn. But if she doesn't go to bed at that time, she'll begin working out in some way," Jay pointed out, "it's not like strengthening workout, she just jumps around the dorm, or runs around."

"It's not like she's loud at those times either. It's only if Sunoo is with her," Jake agreed.

"I'm just a very energetic person," I excused myself with a small laugh, "I think they're overexagerating it though. They like to do that."

"The energy levels in the group, goes from Niki to Jiyeon," Sunghoon let out a small laugh, "Niki will fall asleep whenever and wherever. Jiyeon only falls asleep in a window of eight hours in a day. The rest she is up and running."

"I'm always awake when we drive around from schedule. I'm like a human pillow by now," I nodded in agreement.

"10/10, definitely recommended," Heeseung admitted making us all let out laughs.

"If you were to go to ISAC, would you then compete in the rhythmic gymnastics?" the host questioned.

"I don't know to be honest," I admitted, earning some few widened eyes from the boys, "I feel like I might have more to lose than the other idols I would be competing against. I think... if people know my training background with the rhythmic gymnastics then there will be... frowned upon me if I didn't place first by a lot. But I think it's because, I don't know if the judges have background in the sport or if they're biased."

"I think you would win," Niki spoke up and I shrugged at him.

"I'd be scared to not place first," I admitted with a small laugh, "I don't know. Maybe. I don't even know if we're going to ISAC... have we been told anything?"

"I don't think we have," Jungwon shook his head at me, "but if we are, you are competing."

"This is my decision," I defended to them with a small laugh, "moving on! Next question please!"