Ambulance crash

-Hello. - i picked up the phone.
-Who is it? - Derek whispered to me.
-Shhs!
-Yeah.
-What? - i asked back in disbelief.
-Mhm. Yeah. Okay. - i sighed.
-Mhm. Thank you...for calling. - i answered the phone with a broken voice, and then put my cell in my pocket.
-Mer. What happened? - Derek asked coming closer.
-That...was Janet.
-And? What did she say? Was it about Zola?
-They canceled our court date.
-Wh...how is that even possible?
-They cancel the date in two cases. - i told him with teary eyes.
-Mhm.
-If they love us. Or if they find us terrible. And Janet didn't get the 'they are perfect' call. - a tear flipped out of the corner of my eye.
-Mer.
-She told me we should start moving on. It...won't happen. We are too...doctors. And too...risky. - i sighed again, as Derek hugged me close to himself, while we were sitting in an on-call room. The court date was set up a month ago. We've been waiting for tomorrow for a month. And it has been cancelled. I felt like my heart was breaking. A part of it dying. For us. For Zola. As i let my silent tears flood Derek's shirt, i didn't let go of his hand.
-We can still...visit her? Can't we? - he asked me.
-I...I don't know.
-Mer..we...i
-I know...me neither. - i kissed his lips softly, as he held my face, cleaning my eyes with a tissue. And i saw a tear appear in his right eye too. Or i though i did.
-We...should...i. Der, i...i love her. - i cried to him.
-I know. Me too. She is perfect. Adorable. - he stroked my head, lying back on the bed with me in his arms. I was in need of comfort. Someone who could replace the empty spots. Which were filled with Zola's memory. As i lay there with Derek, i heard the pagers go off at the same time. I pulled myself up with the help of his arm.
-Mer. - he called my name.
-We will...solve it. - he promised.
-I know. - i answered holding back tears, as we stormed out of the on-call room, running in the same direction.
-Grey, Karev, you're going on a neonatal transport.
-Shepherd, incoming trauma, severe head injury. - Bailey informed us, in the pouring rain.
-I'm ready to sue the agency. - Derek told me while they were in the last few minutes of prepping the ambulance.
-The agency doesn't think we are fit to be Zola's legal guardians. - i told him still desperate.
-I don't want another baby. - i told him, as he hugged me.
-Mer..
-I need to go. - i jumped into the ambulance with Alex and Bailey.
As we were on the way in the huge storm, Alex turned to me.
-It's probably a mistake.
-It's not. It's over. And it's been for a while. - i wiped a big tear, which eventually managed to get out.
-You shouldn't give up on your family this fast. You should try a surrogate.
-Alex, I appreciate it. But stop talking about it, if you don't want me to cry. Or i'll shove you out of the ambulance. - i felt Bailey's curious looks on myself.
-Grey.
-Dr.Bailey, i am fine. I don't need to talk about Zola and -
-Oh no, i was not planning on being your girlfriend. Your scrub bottom is undone.
-Thank you. - i nodded, while tying it.
-If we get there, you take the baby back to Seattle Grace, and take care of her. I'm staying with the mother. She's had a surgery, but she'll have another one soon.
Approximately fifteen minutes later, as we got out of the ambulance, still in the pouring rain, in front of Bentley Hospital, we hurried inside.
-Jordan Wagner. I was the one who updated you on the baby. - a man greeted us as soon as we entered.
-We don't have neonatal, nor OB equipments. Emergency delivery. Otherwise, we'd have asked for another hospital.
-Where is the mother? - Bailey asked, after we've asked for different supplies, the baby needed. But they didn't have any of them. That's why the so rapid actions.
-I'm here. I'm coming with you. - a woman wheeled herself in a chair.
-I had to bring her! She threatened to walk if i didn't! - the nurse protected herself, when Bailey shot her a disapproving look.
-You've just had a surgery. And you'll have another one. We need to take care of you here. You can't travel yet. Your baby is in good hands.- Jordan warmed her.
-I still need to go with her!
-Dana, we're taking her to the best doctors! - i explained to her.
-She doesn't even have a name yet! - she cried.
-You'll pick one when you come to Seattle. - i assured her, holding the baby.
-Until then, i'll take care of her myself, i promise. - i told her, as she's calmed down a bit. We kept running to the ambulance in the pouring rain.
-Why wouldn't you try adopting again? - he asked me, as we placed the baby under an incubator.
-The agency won't forget about us if we wait a week. I don't want a surrogate.
-You can't just give up like that.
-It'a nice. That you really care. But it's not your decision.
-It's my fault. If nobody tells you. It's my fault too. It's too much if you don't have kids because of me.
-Alex, anything happens, it's not your fault.
-You're not a quitter. - he told me, as the ambulance suddenly stopped in the middle of the road. I looked out through a window.
-Something happened to the engine. I've called for another unit. But we're in the middle of nowhere. It's gonna take a while. - the paramedic turned back to us.
-I'll put cones outside. And run back to the hospital. Half a mile back. You should get out of the ambulance.
-We can't do that. - i turned to him furiously.
-Look at the baby. Her condition. And the weather.
-The ambulance is filled with oxygen tanks. If it gets hit by a car, it'll blow up.
-No! We're not leaving the baby! - i warned the paramedic, in sync with Alex, leaving his thought.
-We're on top of a hill. We hope people'll see the cones. - Alex assured us.

Meanwhile...
-She doesn't want another baby. - Derek told Mark, as they were scrubbing in.
-She will come around.
-I'm not sure.
-You know, you can co-parent Sofia. - Mark offered Derek spending time with his child.
-You don't have to get up in the middle of the night. And you can drop her off. Sometimes free-time is great.
-Yeah. But i don't want that. I'd have Meredith. First we...can't get pregnant. Then they take away our chance.
-I'll let you know when Robbins is ready. - Jackson walked by them.
-Derek. - Christina entered.
-Hello. - he greeted her.
-You know, this may not be the end.
-I pushed her. She opened up to me, and now it feels like i did all of this to her.
-Derek, Meredith wanted that baby like nothing before.
-She could blame me. I have blamed her before.
-But she won't! She is upset. But she knows you did nothing to hurt her! Or Zola.
-What if i lose Meredith?
-Why would you lose her? Derek she loves you. She might need a minute to clear her head, but she always comes back to you! Don't you understand it?
-I...i love her too. - he nodded, and went into the OR, where Mark, Arizona were already operating on the patient. As he joined them, Mark straightened his back.
-This is some amazing work with the nose. - he complemented himself.
-You know, Arizona, Derek refused co-parenting with Sofia.
-Why wouldn't want to parent her? - Arizona asked about her stepdaughter.
-She is adorable. - Mark added.
-She is. But she is also not a rental car. - Derek answered.

-Alex. I have reception. - i turned to him in the back of the ambulance.
-Good. Call them. We don't have that much time. - he asked me.
I dialed Derek's cell phone number, and after 4 rings, it was picked up. By Jackson.
-Derek Shepherd's phone.
-Jackson? - i asked confused.
-Yes. He's in surgery right now.
-Jackson, i need help. - i told him.
-We're stuck in a back of an ambulance in the middle of nowhere. The engine died, and the paramedic went for help. It's a storm. Jackson, it's a storm. With lightning. And everything. And the car is filled with oxygen tanks. We need help. Put Derek on the phone, right now! - i told him without a breath.
-I'm running. - i heard him disappear for a moment. A door might've slapped, and then all we heard was chatting. Alex looked at me with a questioning look.
-He's going. - i told him, while he was treating the baby in-the dark.
-We're sitting ducks...- Alex talked to the phone. The connection was terrible.
-Leave...phone..Go and...helicopter..to them. - i heard pieces Derek's voice.
-Derek..- i yelled into the phone, when the connection was breaking.
-I hear you. You need to get out. Both of you. - he told us.
-But the baby has so much stuff. - Alex answered.
-We can't get her out with all of this. - he continued.
-Take only the necessary equipments with yourself! An incubator, gauze, and a hospital bag. - i heard Arizona's voice, which was retarded by the phone.
-We will. We're not leaving the baby here. - i took over the baby, while Alex started collecting the stuff.
-One of you will definitely get out. - Mark also joined.
-You're getting out. - i told Alex.
-No, you are. You have to get out Meredith.
-Stop. Get the baby. And leave. Search the helicopter. I'm staying here. - i told him, pushing some stuff into his hands.
-What is happening? - i heard Arizona's voice.
-We're collecting the stuff.
-Meredith. You both get out. You can't...stay in..and...you come back now. - Derek talked into the phone.
-Derek, i love you. We'll adopt Zola. But just - i started, but couldn't finish, because a big bang raised the ambulance, throwing it over. I hit my head into the incubator, which flied out of Alex's hand. Supplies were jumping around in the back of the car. The connection wih the other doctors disappeared.

Meanwhile...
-The emergency dispatch has sent out cars. - Jackson entered.
-What are they...? - he nodded towards the phone.
-We..lost connection. After a loud noise. - Arizona informed him.
-Jackson, you are taking over from Derek. The fancy part is over, we'll guide you through the rest.
-Thanks. - Derek whispered to Mark, and ran out of the OR.
-Chief...- he ran over to the other OR.
-Shepherd, leave. I'm in the middle of the surgery.
-Karev and Meredith were in an ambulance crash. I need to...contact the emergency dispatch.
-Do it. - he answered instantly.
-Number at the nurse's station.

-Meredith...- i stepped out of the ambulance, wheeling a patient, but Derek held my shoulders.
-Sharp glass in her eye. She needs surgery. Now. - i told him.
-You need stitches. - he said, taking a look at the injury on my head.
-I'm fine. Please operate on her.
-Promise you'll get fixed up.
-I will. Promise you'll save her.
-I will. - he kissed me softly on the lips, afraid he will break me.