Dancing it out

-There is a stabbed and beaten prisoner on his way. There will be guards at all time, and he'll be cuffed to the bed. I don't want any accidents. - Richard told me, Christina, Derek and Owen, who apparently got a job at the hospital, as an attending. The pager rang.
-The man is here. I want to keep this silent, so we have to get him out of the ER as soon as possible as the guards will attract attention. Stay professional.
-What does PDR mean? - Christina wondered out loudly as he red the man's file.
-It means it's a prisoner from death row. - Chief answered and our eyes met with Derek's.
As the paramedics unloaded the ambulance, i saw the prisoner tied to the hospital bed. Poor man. It went through my brain. He's not poor. I reminded myself.
In a trauma room, we were working on him, when he groaned out.
-My legs are hurting..
-Were you stabbed there? - i asked him.
-He wasn't. - Derek answered instead of him.
-I want more morphine. - William Dunn, the prisoner said.
-We are not here to support your drug addition. - Christina declined.
-I've been in the bars for 11 years. I have no drug additions.
-I think we should wait for the films. - I turned to the other doctors in the room.
-Waste of time. - my friend said.
-Agree. - Derek nodded seriously. We ended up waiting fro his scans anyways. As the films arrived we took a look at them.
-Foreign object is still in. - i nodded.
-What were you stabbed with? - Derek asked turning to him coldly.
-Am I paralyzed? My lawyer might make a case for staying my execution. - he ignored the question.
-I won't let you be a gimp. You take consequences. - Derek answered and i could hear the edge in his voice.
-You know doc, you and i are not so different...- the prisoner started, but i interrupted him.
-We need to do surgery. Soon. But more scans.
Cristina ordered an MRI as a CT might not give them a good view of the spine.
-We're doing everything by the book. I won't let him tell the lawyer we didn't give proper health care. He'll get his punishment.
-We don't know what he did. We can't judge. - i  protected him, as we were standing outside of the door.
-I'll check on him. - i sighed as i entered the door.
-You know, everyone is watching me so attentively, but i'm still in pain. - i left his comment without an answer.
-That friend of yours is kind of a bitch.
-Christina? - i raised my eyebrows as i changed his IV.
-She is not. - i protected her eagerly.
-You're sleeping with him. That brown-haired. And the bitch is your friend. - he stated without a question.
-What's in your spine? - i ignored his comment again.
-Pretty sure it's a modified toothbrush.
-How did it get there?
-Bad-fight with a good-friend. - i exited his room again, finding the other doctors on the case in the corner talking quietly. I walked over and spotted the MRI in Derek's hands. I took them out without a problem.
-Brain contusions on top of everything else. - he explained.
-No wonder he's in pain. We should give him the morphine. It's inhumane not to give him any with a toothbrush in his spine. - i suggested.
-Toothbrush? - Christina raised her eyebrow, as i nodded.
-Killing people in inhumane, denying pain killers is just a judgement call.
-Derek, what's wrong with you? You watch people die all the time, and you fight like a dog to make sure you don't have to deliver bad news to families. But you lose. Sometimes.
-William is throwing his life away, but taking other people's. There are two sides of the same coin, Mer. He doesn't need morphine. - i didn't agree with him. But he definitely made me think.
William's still cuffed to the bed as we enter. He's feeling better and thanks to me. I gave him painkillers. Not morphine just painkillers. Ones without a prescription.
-What did you do to get on death row? - the question flipped out of Christina. I gave her a warming look.
-I don't mind. I slit a woman's throat after thinking and dreaming about it for a while. On a Monday, i just had to do it. It wasn't terrifying or sad, it was just fun. So, i did two more on Tuesday, and on Wednesday. I got caught before he could do three on Thursday. Can i get jello? - i turned over and stormed out of the room. He did it for fun. For fun.
-Dr.Grey, you okay? - Owen asked me from behind my back.
-Yeah...I..I just. Do you know where is Derek?
-OR1, i think.
-Thanks. - i nodded as i walked towards OR1. I saw a don't disturb sign hanging on the door, but i entered anyways. It was dark in there,just a small light, which revealed the chief lying in a chair, with Bailey and Derek around it.
-It must be hard to lose a colleague. - i heard Bailey talk to him, as i went closer.
-Kenley was horrible with everybody, i won't miss him for a minute. Grey, who told you that you can come in? - he asked angrily.
-Is this about your mortality? -Derek asked, but Richard just laughed out.
-I'm worried about the hospital dying. No one wants to even come here. I can't even keep a cardio surgeon. No wonder we're number 12. I failed at the one thing i was doing in my whole life. So i'm gonna stay on this table until i find a way to walk the halls without cringing.
-I have to stitch a serial killer's back together, i don't have a lecture to give to you. - Derek answered sighing.
-The GRID. Now AIDS. Audacious laparoscopic technique. Her first day as an intern, and last as a resident. The general surgery, 31 year old patient, suffering the consequences of a car accident, and then a 52 year old who fell of the roof. First charts and highs together. - i started.
-What? - Richard asked back sitting up, and i saw Bailey's and Derek's eyes on me too.
-I know it because i watched the tapes. All of them. And read the journals. My mother's journals and tapes....And you know it too because i gave you them. And i know you read it, because she loved you. And you were there for her and the hospital. She was writing about it for pages. And let's face it, my mother was not a liar....- i kept a break.
-She was everything but not a liar. Especially about her work...And you....And she would tear you up if she saw you give up. So now i'm telling you as her daughter and not as a second year resident, to stand up and make it. Make it the first again, not the twelfth. - i finished looking at him. He nodded once, and stood up. Bailey watched his movements amazed, as he got out of the chair, and turned back to me.
-Thank you. - he said, and exited the OR.
-Good speech Grey..- Bailey complemented me still amazed.
-Yeah..Uhm Derek? - i asked him going closer.
-We need to start the surgery.
-Is he in pain? - he asked back.
-I..i gave him painkillers. - i confessed.
-Meredith..Just...We need to go. - he sighed and stormed out.

I was sitting on the bed near the OR. We removed the object. I kept looking down, until i felt Derek's presence next to me. He sat down too, after entering.
-I'm sorry. I was a jerk..to you..But...I have a reason. - he sighed, and i just gave him a curious look.
-My father had been held up at gunpoint by robbers and was shot because he refused to give up the watch my mother bought for him. That's how my father died. I was left there with my father who was shot. And Amelia. She wanted to scream. But they would've shot us too. I was eleven. We're supposed to treat everybody the same, but we're not all the same.
-I'm sorry. - i smiled at him, and took his hand.
-Seems like a bad day.
-What would Christina do to cheer you up? - he asked me.
-Probably turn the music up and dance it out. - i smiled to myself. Derek nodded, and reached for the music player in the corner. He turned the volume up by minimum 4 levels, and stood up, smiling at me. He started dancing awkwardly, pulling me up with him. I giggled out at his actions, but started dancing with him anyways. As our hands touched, i pulled him in, and gave him a well-deserved sweet kiss.
-Let's go...- i turned the music off.