"Hey" I smiled, sitting next to him

"Hey, how was your shower?"

"It was nice to finally take one"

"I bet."

"I feel much better... What time is your mother coming back home?"

"I dunno, thirty minutes probably."

"Alright.. Thanks again for letting me stay here."

"Thank you for coming here. I'm just relieved you won't be sleeping in the rain."

"Me too."

"Do you want some dinner?"

"If it's convenient..."

"Sunshine, you're like a broken record. You've gotta stop worrying about what's convenient for everyone else, and start focusing on what's good for you."

"I guess you're right.."

"So, I'll make you some food?"

"Do you want some help?"

"No, I'm fine, thank you. I'll be back in a minute. Just relax." He smiled

He walked down to the kitchen. I sat and waited for him to return, drying my hair. He came back a short while later, a bowl of pasta in his hand. He sat down next to me, handing me the bowl.

"You didn't get your own?" I asked

"Nah, there's more downstairs, I'm just not super hungry yet."

"Alright... Thank you." I took a bite of the pasta.

"You're welcome, Buddy."

I moved closer to him, leaning my head on his shoulder.

"I think my dad may be going soon..."

"Really?"

"Yeah.. He's at a new house, evidently, when I called the bank to figure out my bills, they mentioned his new address.. and he hasn't sold this one. I think he's just leaving it. He's a fucking idiot, but his idiocy benefits me to some extent I suppose.."

"I'm glad he's gone. I'm glad you'll be able to live there without having to fear for your safety."

"Yeah. I'm glad too."

"So, what time do you think he'll be outta there?"

"I dunno.. He should be out by the time school's done."

"Good. I'm happy that you'll be safe now."

"Me too..."

I heard his door open, followed by his mother calling out

"I'm home!"

"Hello!" He called back.

"You boys doing alright?"

"Yeah, we're good!"

He pulled me close to him, wrapping his arms around me. I set my head down on his shoulder, smiling widely. He slowly ran his hand through my hair, playing with it a little.

"I'm gonna go help my mom clean up, you finish your pasta." He instructed, standing up

"Do you want my help?"

"No, I'm alright. Thank you." He replied, walking down the stairs.

I took a few more bites of the meal he made me. I admire the fact that he went out of his way to help his mother clean, without being asked. He just does that sort of thing. He's a good man.