You-Choose Fic (Louis Falls From a Tree)

Start from the beginning

They entertained each other by playing card games on the picnic table. An hour later, they got their food from the fire and unwrapped the foil. It smelled amazing and it was cooked to perfection. As they ate, Louis and the boys noticed a young girl, of about eight-years-old, climbing a tree in the distance. Her mother was tidying up their picnic table, yelling at her to come down.

The tree had many branches that looked strong and sturdy, the perfect tree for climbing. "I used to climb trees like that all the time when I was little," Louis said as he munched on his food.

"Really?" Harry asked. "But you are little." Harry smiled as he was only joking.

"Shut up!" Louis said, rolling his eyes as he playfully shoved Harry's shoulder. He continued watching the girl as she tried climbing higher.

"Michelle, come down from there or you're not getting dessert!" her mother cried.

"Oh, she better get down quick!" Niall said with worry. Niall was quick to obey when it had anything to do with withholding food.

The boys laughed, and root beer sprayed out of Louis's mouth, landing all over Harry.

"Thanks, Lou. Looks like I don't have to shower now," Harry said sarcastically, wiping his face off with a napkin.

"Sorry, babe," Louis said, laughing even harder now. "Didn't mean to!"

"Hey, Lou," Niall said since he kept seeing Louis stare at the tree the girl had been climbing. "So why don't you go and climb it then?"

"What? You want me to climb the tree?" Louis asked, picking at his food with his fork. The idea enticed him, but he didn't want to appear childish. In all honestly, he wanted to climb it, to feel like a kid again, but he was just too embarrassed.

"Yeah, why not? I think you want to," Niall said, taking a sip of his orange soda. "I dare you!"

Oh, well if it's a dare, no one can make fun of him for deciding to climb the tree on his own will. It wasn't his idea. "Oh, so it's a dare, I see? Okay, then. I'm gonna climb the tree." Louis got up from his seat and began to head over there.

"Be safe, babe, and don't go too high," Harry said, with bites of food in his cheeks. A minute later, Louis was at the base of the large tree, its branches beckoning to him.

He easily hoisted himself up as he grabbed onto the nearest branch. He placed his feet on the tree, allowing himself to climb on top of the first branch. He crouched down low as he latched onto another branch and lifted himself up higher until his feet were now on it. He noticed all the boys take a quick glance at him every now and then to see if he really was climbing it, but they looked away so they could finish eating, their back to him.

As Louis climbed higher, he stopped for a minute to take in the view. He could see most of the camping area from here. He saw the playground in the distance, several families and kids playing around their area, and a man playing frisbee with his dog. Louis smiled, feeling the wind blow through his hair, proud of himself for getting this far.

He decided to go even higher. There were so many branches, and he knew he could do it. He glanced down at the boys' table and saw that they were throwing away their trash and making their way towards him. Niall waved first and then the rest of them.

"Wow, Lou! You're really high up there!" Harry shouted, a little bit anxious.

"Yeah. The view's amazing up here!" Louis called down to them.

Niall saw that he was about to take another step higher, and all the boys shouted at him this time. "Get down! That's high enough!"

"Yeah, we don't want you falling!" Liam shouted, cupping his hands around his mouth.