Harry Gets Mugged at Knifepoint

I was inspired to write this from Harry's actual experience of being mugged by men with a knife in 2020. 

Date: 3-14-24

Words: 1,228

"You coming home soon?"

Home. Louis and home in the same sentence sent a flutter of excitement through his belly. Breathing heavily, Harry answered him. "Yeah, I'm almost done." Sweat dripped from his brow and into his eyes, making them burn. "Maybe 15 more minutes."

He'd almost jogged two miles, which was his daily goal. Louis, on the other hand, preferred sitting on the couch watching sports than doing anything physical. Thus, he was out enjoying nature alone.

"Okay. I just made some brownies, and they're in the oven right now."

Pots and pans clanged in the background like Louis was cleaning up. "Ooh, yum. Can't wait. I'll see you soon."

A light breeze stirred the air around him, cooling down his sweaty body. It was completely dark now. Cars and traffic lights lit up his way as he continued the jog through the streets of town, heading home. Tired now, he slowed to a brisk walk, passing a few couples and an old homeless man outside a shop.

Soon, the streets became deserted. No people, no cars. He was left alone in the darkness. But he knew this route well. He wasn't afraid of the dark, but he was afraid of stalkers and crazy people who came out at night. He normally exercised in the daytime, but he'd lost track of time when hanging out with Louis today.

As he turned a corner, there were four men dressed in black huddled near a building. When they saw him, they began walking towards him, slowly at first, but picking up speed. Harry kept his head down and walked faster, but they matched his pace. Seconds later, they were right behind him.

Harry gasped as someone yanked his arm sharply behind him. He turned around and faced his pursuers. "What do you want?" Harry said, out of breath.

"Give us your money," the tallest one said. He and the others wore black ski masks to disguise their faces. The sharp contrast between the masks and the whites of their eyes made Harry's blood run cold.

"I don't have any," Harry answered. He never had cash on him.

"Don't lie to us," the heavier man said, his voice rough as rocks. The man pulled out a shiny object from his belt. Harry took a step back.

He held the tip of the knife to Harry's throat. "Then give us your phone."

The knife pressed deeper into Harry's skin as he looked down at his pocket where his phone sat. The third man reached into Harry's pocket and retrieved the device. He held it in front of Harry's face. "Unlock it."

"It's not mine," Harry lied. "I don't know the code."

They all laughed like Harry had told one of his famous jokes. "Unlock it, or you will pay dearly," the man holding the knife said. He brandished the weapon up in front of Harry's face, the light of the moon reflecting off of it, showcasing its skin-ripping teeth.

He gave the phone back to Harry. What was he supposed to do? If he unlocked it, they'd have access to his bank account, pictures of him and Louis, and all sorts of personal information. But if he didn't give it to them, death or injury was inevitable, judging by that knife.

A car came out of nowhere with its headlights pointed directly at them. Harry squinted. The driver stuck his head out and screamed, "Fuck off, assholes!"

It was Louis to the rescue! The man with the knife groaned in anger and lashed out against Harry. A violent pain ripped through Harry's stomach as the man carved his skin from left to right across his torso. At first, it felt like a paper cut, but in time, it intensified like fire.

The men ran off together down the alley, hopping fences and jumping over parked cars as they made their escape. Harry grabbed his side and was surprised when his hand felt wet and sticky. Oh, no. I'm gonna die.

Despite the bright headlights, Harry could make out his husband rushing towards him. "Harry!" Louis cried. As he got closer, Louis's eyes became large and his pace quickened.

Harry sauntered slowly toward him, feeling the blood leaking between his fingers. "Louis, how'd you know?"

"You've been stabbed?" Louis asked, ignoring his question. He leaned down and brushed Harry's hand aside. "You're bleeding! We've got to call for help."

After Louis called for an ambulance, he took off his shirt and stuck it to his wound.

"But that's your fav—favorite shirt," Harry said, speaking slower than normal. He felt weird, like he was in a trance.

"Don't you worry about that," Louis assured him. He put one arm around Harry's waist to guide him to the car. "Can you make it, honey?"

Harry nodded but felt his eyes slipping closed. His feet weren't working properly, either. He staggered along, feeling drunk, letting Louis support his weight.

"I feel funny," Harry said.

"It's the blood loss." Louis tightened his hand around his stomach, and Harry groaned in response.

"Ouch, Lou. Stop."

Louis stood still. "I can't. I have to do this to stop the bleeding. Let's just stop here for now. Stay awake for me, okay? The ambulance will be here soon."

Louis held Harry on the sidewalk, keeping firm pressure on his stomach. The bleeding continued to seep out, soaking through his t-shirt. "What did those guys want, anyway?"

Harry couldn't focus. What did Louis just ask?

The pain was too great.

His stomach burned.

He closed his eyes for what felt like only a second, but was awoken by Louis screaming at him.

"Harry? Harry, open your eyes!" His eyes fluttered open and Louis kissed his head. "That's right, love. Stay awake, okay?"

"Am I--am I. . .dying?" Harry asked. He looked down to see Louis's right hand covered in glossy stuff, making him shiver in horror. Guess that answered that question.

Louis clutched him tighter in a reassuring grip. "Baby, no. You're not going anywhere. You're going to be just fine, love."

A siren sounded in the still of the night and both boys turned at the sight of it. Three EMTs filed out of the car and loaded Harry into it. Louis followed and was also helped into the back of the vehicle.

"Is he going to be okay?" Louis asked while they examined him.

"He'll be fine," one of them said. "I think it looks worse than it actually is, and it doesn't look too deep, either."

Louis squeezed Harry's hand. "Hear that, Haz? You're going to be fine."

After time spent at the hospital for drugs and stitches, they were finally discharged to leave. As Louis helped Harry into the car, Harry remembered what he'd been wanting to ask him. "Lou, how'd you know I was in trouble?"

"You were taking too long to get home, so I decided to go looking for you. Good thing I did, right?"

When they arrived home, a certain chocolatey aroma filled the kitchen. "So, Louis. . .I was a good boy at the doctor's," Harry said with a grin. "Can I get a brownie?"

Louis laughed and put his arms around him, being careful of his bandage. "You fought off a gang of bad men. I think you can have the whole pan!"

Hope you enjoyed! Comments always welcome.  :)