Story Time: Part 3

"After his father sent him back to his room he made sure to wait a while before reading the letter. When he finally decided enough time had passed and he was sure no guards or his father would walk in his room. He grabbed the pillow and pulled the letter out of his pillowcase. He slowly unfolded the letter careful not to make a noise. This was his first time hiding anything from his father, he himself couldn't even figure out. Perhaps he had gone crazy, or was he falling for the mysterious king. He had always heard that love makes people do strange things.

As his eyes landed on the words he felt his heart speed up.

Dear Nick,

I noticed a few things while we were talking and I would love to have you back to talk about a few of them. I need to talk to you, you looked awfully sad and scared when your guard walked up and I want to help. I decided to throw another masquerade ball. This time I would like to get to know you a little more. I'll be honest I've never done anything like this for anyone, but hey there's a first for everything. Please come back over soon I'll be waiting.

Love Alex

Nicholas heart skipped a beat and he knew he was right, what he was feeling was love. "It's stupid I meet him once and I have already fallen for him." He whispered to himself shamefully. "Besides he's a guy and so am I." He sighed falling backwards on his bed. "And even so, I can't seem to take my mind off him." Nicholas said with a soft smile as he closed his eyes surrounding himself with his blissful thoughts.

His eyes opened again at an intruding thought that he couldn't quite push away. 'What if he doesn't feel the same way." Nicholas bit his lip and squeezed his eyes shut at one last desperate attempt to push the thought away which worked momentarily.

Over the few weeks Nicholas did everything in his power to make sure he proved to his father that he was worthy to return to the king's party. His father took advantage of this and made sure that he was working at all hours of the day, cleaning, running errands, doing his jobs, even helping the guards with whatever they needed, no matter how grotesque the task. He never spoke up to his father and often took whatever punishments the King wanted to give him. He was sure that his torment was a way for his father to take out his frustrations and stress, and he held his tongue every time he was called into the the throne room. One of the times his father called him he ended up leaving a pretty nasty black eye, which he was grateful that it was a masquerade ball.

When the night before the party came his father hesitated to accept the request but he eventually gave in reminding Nicholas the rules and adding a few more that seemed absolutely pointless. "Do not speak unless spoken to, do not speak of anything other than what is happening at the party, and do not talk to guards that our not from his castle." Once again Nicholas agreed, but he was unsure if he would be able to follow them knowing that Alex wanted to talk about his life. He was just hopping they would go somewhere even more private than the garden.

He woke up and decided he would wear the same costume as before since he realized that Alex didn't know what he looked like aside from the mask. He prepared everything and waved the frowning king goodbye. It took a few hours but when they finally made it the party had barely begun. Nicholas began walking towards the house holding out the invitation as the guards let them in.

The crowd seemed to be as lively with the last and he remembered just how awkward he was at parties. 'Hmm where would he be? Would he be by the wall where we first meet, or in the garden. Nicholas made his way to the wall where he first saw his friend. When he wasn't there he shrugged and made his way towards the garden.

He had made it to the garden and was looking around. He found the small crowd of people that usually lingered around these areas and sighed when he didn't see the familiar mask. He went to turn around when he was meet face to face with the eyes he recognized. "You came!" Alex said surprised when he say the familiar mask in front of him. "I couldn't stay away if I tried," Nicholas said before his face went scarlet. He was sure glad his mask covered most of his face.

Alex gave a chuckle and looked around almost as if he was being followed. "Any of your guards around?" He whispered trying to be discrete. Nicholas gave the area a quick sweep and shook his head. "Good, let's go." Alex said gently tugging Nicholas's arm. Nick nodded and followed Alex. They walked through a different door into a section of the castle that was empty. The made their way around to a room in the castle. The made their way inside the dark room before closing the door. Alex turned on the light when he was sure the door was all the way closed.

Nick looked around the room and he swallowed. 'Is this his bedroom?'He asked himself in disbelief. "Sorry about the meeting place, it was supposed to be in my office but there is too many people around that area so..." Alexander's voice drifted off. "Anyways make yourself comfortable." He said rubbing the back of his neck. Alex sat back on the bed and removed his mask holding it in his hands.

Nicholas took a moment to study his face. He noticed that his eyes had bags under them which was something that wasn't there last time. "Have you been sleeping?" Nick asked with concern at how dark around his eyes were. "Sort of. Anyways I brought you here to talk about you, not me." Alex said brushing it off with a fake smile and a look that suggested Nick knew what the bags under his eyes were. 'He was worrying about me this whole time, to the point he wouldn't even sleep.' Nick had figured out.

"What did you want to speak about." Nick asked changing the subject to hide his new found guilt. " First if it's not too much trouble, I would like to see the face of the man I am talking to." Alex said avoiding Nicks eyes. "Only if you're okay with that." He said afterwards to try and be courteous. When his eyes meet Nick's again he nodded. Alex gave him a soft smile, "may I." Alex said gesturing to the mask. Nick nodded again. As Alex hands went up to the back of his head he grabbed his wrist lightly remembering the gift his father gave him a few day prior.

Alex paused and gave him a concerned look. "I just want you to know that I don't normally look like this." He said in a whisper before removing his hand letting Alex continue. Alex was confused but he continued when he got the okay from Nick to proceed. He finished untying the back of the mask and slowly slipped it away from his face.

He inhaled sharply when he saw what Nick had meant. The dark purple bruise around his eye was still a little swollen. He gently ran his finger over it before pulling Nick into a hug. " I'm so sorry Nick." He whispered trying to hide the fact his eyes were begging it water. "Nicholas." Nick said quietly. "My full name is Nicholas." He said again with a quiet sigh.

"Nicholas," Alex whispered in his ear, "I like that name." Nick smiled and Alex let go of him. "I'm sorry this happened Nicholas, was it because of me?" Nick didn't have the heart to say it was connected and shook his head, "of course it isn't." He said with a small smile, "besides it doesn't matter anymore." Nick said his smile vanished.

"What do you mean?" Alex asked concerned. "I can never go back." He said quietly, I broke the rules, I can't face my father. Because if I did go back, there would be hell to pay." Nicholas said knowing he wouldn't be able to lie to his father forever he had his ways to get information out of people, none of them pleasant. "He'll find me eventually though." Nick whispered not even realize he was still talking.

He quickly covered his mouth and averted the subject. "So what was it you wanted to speak to me about?" He asked rubbing the back of his head. "All of my suspicions have been proven true the second I took off your mask." Alexander said sadly. He placed his hand over Nick's and looked him in the eyes. "You should stay here, with me." He said desperate to help his friend, the one he loves."

"So he does love him." Eren wrote down in a hurry. "Of course," Hanji laughed. "Alright you ready to stop fanboying, and continue." She asked. Eren nodded and she cleared her throat. "Alright..."