Side Story 17

***

After a chilly carriage ride, we reached the Imperial Palace.

Reynos and I discreetly navigated our way to the throne room, away from prying eyes. Given the presence of the children, having a meaningful conversation would be challenging, so we entrusted the care of the two Juniors to the Emperor's knights.

Kneeling on one knee before the stern-faced Emperor, Reynos spoke in a trusting tone.

"Those children were not raised in secret."

He proceeded to explain that they were our children from the future, and this occurrence resulted from the diversion of the evil dragon's power in another direction.

"You know, Your Majesty, it was only a few years ago that Duke Lavirins and I met."

Though I hadn't inquired, Eljuni and Rejuni appeared to be about five years old at most.

They could have been born long before our relationship began. Reynos pointed this out, and the Emperor did not dispute the observation.

"I understand that this was not your intention. But what are you going to do about this? We can't raise those children here as it is."

"I plan to send them back to where they belong."

"How? Did you think to ask the Magic Tower for help?"

"No, we don't know how the Magic Tower will react when they see them, so it's best not to inform them."

Smart move.

They were unnerved by Knox's presence; introducing children from the future would likely send them into a frenzy, and they might eagerly seize the opportunity for experimentation.

'By the way, why does my stomach feel so bad?'

Having skipped breakfast due to my frantic movements, a rumbling stomach seemed odd.

Was it the faint scent of flowers in the air?

I bit my lip, hoping it wasn't a mistake. I would have to endure it until we left this place.

"And how do you propose to return them to the time they were supposed to be?"

The Emperor interrupted.

"I have something in mind,"

Reynos replied, lowering his eyes slightly.

"But I'm not sure, and I need confirmation."

"Confirmation of what—"

"Ugh."

Gods, what a clueless retch. Both men's eyes turned to me.

While the Emperor wore a peculiar, "You can't be serious?" expression, Reynos remained composed.

He cleared his throat.

"I'll tell you after she gets examined by the Imperial Physician."

***

I would have summoned the imperial physician on the spot, but the emperor's consideration allowed me to be escorted from the throne room for an examination in a private chamber.

I recounted the incident to the imperial physician.

With a solemn expression, he scrutinized every part of my body, and at one point, his complexion changed dramatically.

"What's wrong, is it bad?"

Reynos, gripping my hand tightly, nervously squeezed it. The imperial physician bowed deeply before him.