Chapter 162

***

He was tired of human attention.

But it was off-putting and irritating that the first human he did a favor had no interest in him.

Wishing to impress upon the girl that he was more than a healing magic shuttle or a meal attendant, Absulekti introduced himself as Letty.

He also casually mentioned that he lived here as a servant in the eyes of the dragons because of his natural magical talent.

El's eyes widened, and she spoke up.

"Maybe I should tell the king, he likes mages. He'll treat you well."

"No, don't tell him. If you do, I won't give you anything good in the future."

"...!"

Absulekti's words left El stunned. With a solemn promise sealed upon her fingers, she vowed to never divulge his secret to the king. Consequently, not a day passed without her visiting him.

Her requests for him to tend to animals became less frequent, as if the realization that he wasn't a veterinarian had finally dawned upon her.

Instead, she etched enigmatic sketches upon the muddy earth, fashioned crowns of blossoms and set them upon his head, and prattled ceaselessly.

Throughout his extensive existence, Absulekti had encountered no human who accorded him such scant respect.

Gradually, he found himself eagerly anticipating El's visits, a sentiment that rendered him oblivious to the once-cherished freedom he once enjoyed.

In his earnest endeavor to bring joy to the transformed El, he ventured into the realm of humans, returning each time with increasingly sumptuous fare.

Yet, despite his persistent efforts, her stature remained smaller compared to her peers. The dearth of nourishment during her formative years had left her susceptible to frequent, profound illnesses.

When afflicted with a cold, she would languish in bed for days, her vitality subdued, and no visitors would grace her bedside. Thus, Absulekti held El in the highest regard, lavishing her with care and attention, as if fearing she might flutter away with the wind's caress or vanish if he held her too tightly.

Meanwhile, within the palace, whispers of her peculiarity circulated.

A child so frail that the specter of death seemed perpetually poised to claim her suddenly burgeoned in weight, her pallor enhanced.

"What the hell has she been doing..."

El's brother, Knox, snuck up behind her as she climbed the sacred mountain.

At a single glance, he recognized the young man she met as none other than a dragon, his incredulity driving him to his knees.

"I offer greetings to the Great One!"

Absulekti's countenance tightened, his gaze shifting from Knox's attire-far more grand than El's.

While they were said to be twins, Knox outstripped El in height by a good two inches.

A dawning realization coursed through him-the bounty intended for El had been appropriated by this individual. A simmering fury kindled within him.

He parted his lips to usher Knox away, but before he could voice his intent, El, comprehending Letty's draconian nature, descended to the ground in tandem with Knox, seized by a fit of astonishment.

He opened his mouth to tell him to get lost, but when El realized that Letty was a dragon, she fell to the floor with Knox in a fit.

"Hail, the great one!"