Chapter 55

***

Count Lindel was an old man with strong white hair that had been brown. He had solid growth, straight hips, and even wrinkles on his face that showed he had lived a stubborn life.

In short, he was a difficult man.

'He's the best of allies, but the worst of enemies.'

I concentrated on being polite, even when pouring the tea so as not to complain about anything.

However friendly the Count was to me, it was not because he liked me, it was closer to friendly because he had no choice but Gerald and me.

After a sip of tea, the Count broke the ice.

"It's been three years and 218 days."

"Yes, it has."

Someone that says up to the date is definitely for plane control.

I took another sip of tea with my eyes downcast.

Then I looked back at the last encounter between the "real Ciella" and Count Lindel.

I had never been in the original story, but it was possible with the memories in this body.

Ciella, who had just finished her debutante three years earlier, had two paths.

To follow Duval and receive the surname of Essit, or to continue with the surname of Lavirins.

Essit insisted on the former, but it was a part of Lavirins that could not be imposed on her if she did not like it.

And the vassals, who were not pleased with Gerald, placed their hopes in Ciella. They even said, "If you have any thoughts of becoming the successor, we will actively encourage you."

But Ciella apologized and said she had no such idea now, and sent them away.

'Fool.'

I lowered my teacup so as not to make a sound. Then I looked straight into Count Lindel's eyes and opened my mouth.

"I will speak to you with a grain of salt. Support me so that I can be the successor."

"Alright."

Huh? The Count couldn't have been this way.

I was alarmed by his reply without a trace of hesitation. I nervously looked over at the Count.

The Count's eyes were also cool and shining as he observed my reaction.

'He's not the kind of person who responds so easily.'

I don't know what's wrong with him. I rolled my head.

It was only three years ago that Count Lindel had a definite liking for Ciella.

People changed after just one day, but there was no way those feelings would remain the same until now after three years had passed.

Count Lindel considered bloodline to be important, but also the abilities of each individual.

This meant that as long as Lavirins could rise, Gerald would miss out on becoming house head.

In fact, the reason Count Lindel found Gerald undesirable was not because he was adopted.

It was because he feared that since Isabella was a distant relative of Count Essit, having Gerald, her son, sit as the head would really cause Lavirins to be eaten by Essit.

As he predicted, the Lavirins perished that way in the original story.

'But it's ridiculous that he would be so openly supportive.'