Chapter 114

I wondered what the other one was, besides his height, but I didn't think I should ask.

It would mean I was recognizing Rublet's face and wealth, and Reynos would be offended.

'Reynos, you have surprisingly high standards.'

With that thought, I turned away from the angry Rublet and shoved my lunch into my mouth.

'Cheer up, Rublet. I think you're handsome, and of course, you have a lot of money.'

***

「Are you saying that Justice refused to be by Puritina's side?」

Knox in the mirror frowned as he heard the news from the Pope.

A few days ago, he summoned Puritina to get to the bottom of how she had lost the crown prince's favor.

When she told him that Lavirins, not the Crown Prince's entourage, had saved her, he knew that Lavirins was the reason for the discrepancy between what he knew and what he saw.

He instructed Puritina to keep Lavirins at arm's length, while keeping the Crown Prince and Duke Justice close.

'Lavirins saved her life, so I knew she wouldn't listen to me easily.'

For some reason, Puritina already had negative feelings towards Lavirins, so he didn't even have to charm her. He didn't even say anything, but she shed tears of emotion, saying "Mr. Knox is the only one who treats me so kindly!" Having easily won Tyriel over to his side, Knox next called for Rublet, intending to use him as a bodyguard for Puritina, just in case.

Just like old times. But...

'The charm didn't work.'

Even though his mesmerization was a fake, modeled after the power of the holy dragon Absuleki, it was dragonic in nature. It should have worked on Justice, a mere mortal.

But why didn't it work, why did it keep going wrong, so differently from the last time?

Perhaps it was because Rublet's long history of suspicion of Duke Absulekti had given him a slight immunity to the charm itself, but Knox didn't know that.

Was it Lavirins' fault, too? He could only infer that.

'Frustrating.'

Feeling extremely frustrated, Knox glared at the Pope, who was bouncing around like a doll in front of him with unfocused eyes.

If only he could move as freely as that human, he could see for himself. Trapped in a mirror by a curse, the Pope was his only means of communication.

'If only I had the power of the evil dragon...'

If only he had that power, he could get out of this damned mirror. It was even more disappointing because he almost succeeded last time, but the shock he received then knocked him out, so he started the activity late this time.

If only that stupid Puritina hadn't used 'that herb'.

Knox clenched his fists. He interrupted the Pope as he rattled off information with a dumbfounded look on his face.

「I must see Little Marquis Lavirins.」

"Little Marquis Lavirins? But-"

The Pope trailed off nervously. The fact that the talking mirror was in the Papal Palace would do no good.

In fact, it was a relic of Eldorado, an ancient magical kingdom that was the first to be destroyed by an evil dragon.

Although it was called a holy object, it was technically a magical tool, and the Pope was hesitant. He'd already shown it to two people, Puritina and Justice, even though he'd ordered absolute secrecy. Add Lavirins to the mix, and that's three-