Chapter 178

Epilogue

Fortunately, in reality, only three months had passed, in stark contrast to the three years I had experienced within the inner world.

Time flows differently in the mental realm than it does in the physical world, so if luck hadn't been on my side, my three months could have equated to three years—a circumstance I was grateful to avoid.

Nevertheless, even if it was 'only' three months, it must have felt like an eternity for those who remained by my side while I was unconscious.

"Waaaaah, Duke! waaah!"

The news that I woke up turned Lavirins upside down.

The maids, with May leading the charge, rushed to embrace me as soon as they realized I was awake.

The first Marquis of Lavirins, who now appeared thirty years older due to the stress, wiped his tears away with a handkerchief. Count Lindel and his vassals, equally haggard, let out a collective sigh of relief.

"Duke, are you truly alright now?"

"Yes, I'm fine, really."

I comforted the sobbing May with a pat on her back and tuned in to the conversation among the vassals, eager to learn what had transpired in the kingdom during the three months of my absence.

"I'm so glad you're up and about."

"Lavirins without the Duke, phew. It's been hard, and not just on the mouth."

"Now, I can finally stretch my legs and get some much-needed sleep. But before I do, I must inform everyone that the Duke is awake; I've received numerous inquiries about your well-being."

The vassals visibly flinched, as if they wished to avoid revisiting the hardships they had endured.

It became clear to me that there had been significant confusion in the days since I had assumed the title of Duke, with numerous inquiries regarding my condition.

I was overwhelmed with emotion, and half-jokingly asked,

"Were there really that many people looking for me?"

"Not just too many, the capital was a sea of tears at one point."

"What?"

I asked, puzzled by the seriousness in his tone. The capital became a sea of tears because I collapsed?

The vassals looked back at each other in disbelief, and Count Lindel, who smiled wryly, answered on their behalf.

"You are xurrently being honored as a hero for saving the empire."

...A hero? I stared at him in astonishment, completely taken aback by the unexpected revelation.

The Count's face radiated with pride, mirroring the expressions on the other vassals' faces. I blinked, struggling to comprehend the words being spoken.

After a fruitless attempt to clear my throat, the First Marquis Lavirins spoke up.

"I've heard the entire story from His Highness. You went through quite a trial while battling the demon within His Highness the Second Prince's body, didn't you?"

"I also heard that, in order to minimize casualties, you engaged in combat with only the three of you: His Highness the Crown Prince, Duke Justice, and yourself."

"I also heard that you pretended to be ill during the Winter Sword ceremony to catch the demon off guard."

Once I spread the word, testimonies started pouring in from all directions.