Side Story 8

I knew Reynos wouldn't be able to convincingly impersonate me.

Thus, I was prepared for the possibility that Leather could expose the ruse.

However, the unfolding of events took an entirely unexpected turn.

"You kept me in your heart too."

Inside the carriage heading back to the Lavirins mansion, Reynos clutched the Crown Prince doll in his hand, wearing an incredibly joyful expression.

He had taken it out to inspect it more closely. On the opposite side of him, I huddled like a shrimp, tears freely flowing within my heart.

Once again, I had become a pitiful dragon, forfeiting my dignity.

"I should designate it as a national treasure when I return to the palace."

Whether it became a national treasure or not, my dignity was already lost.

Do as you please. Perhaps it would be preserved for centuries as "Stalking Doll Made by Empress Ciella in the Era of Emperor Reynos, When He Was Still the Crown Prince - National Treasure No. XXX."

I was a person with nothing left to lose.

I extended my powerless tail even further, akin to a despondent heart.

As the familiar rocking of the carriage signaled our nearing arrival at the Lavirins mansion, Reynos, who had been gazing out the window in contemplation, suddenly spoke.

"What should I say to your dedicated lady-in-waiting?"

He was referring to May.

Even after marrying Leather and becoming a mother, May clung to her role as a lady-in-waiting and resisted parting ways with me.

Despite her postpartum recovery, she played more of a companion role than a traditional lady-in-waiting.

Nevertheless, she would quickly discern that I wasn't the mistress she had served for so long.

'Should I tell her the same story I told Leather about having eaten something wrong at the tower, or should I tell the truth?'

While many were already aware of the prince's transformation into a duke, recalling the time when I feigned death because of Isabella, I felt remorse for continuing to lie.

After much contemplation, just before stepping off the carriage, I made my decision.

- Piit. (Tell the truth.)

"To her and no one else?"

- Piit. (Yes. But, Ray, are you truly fine with not returning to the palace?)

Just as I couldn't revert to being a human due to my inability to control the mana of a black dragon, Reynos faced a similar dilemma.

He readily nodded when I asked if he was okay with staying away until the issue was resolved.

"Yes. Due to the curse of the black dragon, I've been absent quite a bit, so this absence won't matter much."

- Piit. (I see...)

A free spirit, indeed.

The carriage pulled up to the mansion just in time, coming to a halt. Reynos received assistance from the coachman and disembarked.

I was cradled in his arms. May, who had been anxiously awaiting our return, warmly greeted us.

"Did you have a good journey, Duke? If I had known you'd be away for so long, I would have loved to accompany you!"