Chapter 67

She became aware of a cold touch encircling her arm.

Isabella hurriedly shook her hand off. She backed away with her buttocks on the floor and widened the distance between them.

As she did so, the moment she was more than a date away, she suddenly got up and ran out of the prayer room.

"Kkyaaaaak! Kkyaaaaaak!"

Taktaktaktak!

The sound of footsteps ringing in the quiet hallway echoed in her ears. A sense of fear drifted from her toes. Many times it caused her to lose her strength and almost fall.

"Believer?"

After running hard, she saw one of the priests coming from across the path.

Isabella caught the priest as if gripping a rope. With trembling hands, she gasped for breath as she pointed to the prayer room.

"Um, there's a ghost in that prayer room over there!"

"What? The prayer room is on the other side."

Isabella opened her mouth at the creepy answer.

Come to think of it, the priest's clothes were different from the ones she met earlier.

All the priests wore the same clothes, except for the color of the insignia around their shoulders, depending on their rank.

Isabella put some strength into the hand that gripped the priest. It was not a ghost, judging by his shape. There was also a shadow. Still, just to be sure, she asked in a shaky voice.

"A-are you sure you're a priest?"

"Yes, my name is Priest Albert. Who is the madam and why are you here at this late hour? This is a place where believers should not enter."

"A priest told me earlier that I could pray here... He was a man with brown hair and looked to be in his late twenties."

"There is no such priest in our temple."

Isabella paled at the words. Then who is it that I have met? She asked one last time.

"Is it possible that today is the day the boundary between the dead and the living will be broken?

"What?"

The priest's face changed as if she were someone who had also committed sacrilege. To which Isabella hastily denied.

"Oh, no, sir."

"Why do you say such terrible things... I have to wash my ears. Get out of here right now!"

The priest, who shook Isabella off as if he were dispelling an insect, said "Get out of here," and pushed her back. She was escorted out without further ado.

'What the hell happened...'

Isabella looked at the temple with vain eyes. Then slowly, she started to move.

Her trembling legs were weak. Still, she managed to move towards the exit.

If she stopped for a moment, she thought a ghost Ciella or an unidentified priest would follow her.

"Mother..."

Yeah, just like this.

... was it an auditory hallucination?

"Motherrr..."

No, the sound was coming from right behind her!

She had goosebumps all over her.