Chapter 90

"Yes... Thank you."

A flushed Reynos smiled shyly. Oh, really.

For all the times he's bossing people around like frostbite, he grins like a puppy when he's complimented by me. I squeezed my eyes shut as I struggled to stay sane.

Before I could stop myself, I accidentally stepped on Reynos's foot. Reynos gave a light bruise.

"You should dance with your eyes open."

"Your Highness is too handsome to see."

"... then why don't you stay on my instep?"

That sounded better.

I nodded, and Reynos picked me up slightly and set me down gently on my feet.

He danced very steadily, despite the fact that I must weigh quite a bit, but I couldn't help but feel uneasy.

The sensation of being spun around in the air was not pleasant, to say the least.

I felt like if I let go of the arm that held me, I would fall.

I kept leaning toward Reynos without realizing it. Just before my cheek touched his lips, he whispered.

"Don't be scared, my lady. I won't drop you."

"Yes, yes..."

Despite my words, my grip on Reynos tightened. I didn't realize how much of a coward I'd been.

Eventually, my cheek lightly touched his lips and I pulled away. Reynos laughed softly as he planted a bird kiss on my cheek.

"Cute."

"It's not cute... When is this going to end, was it this long?"

"Almost done."

The dance ended with Reynos picking me up and spinning me around in one big circle.

I slid off Reynos' feet, breathing heavily. I don't know why it's so hard when all I've done is center myself.

As he smoothed out my tangled hair, he whispered.

"Don't drink when I'm not around. Although I think you already have."

Ugh, how did he know? I've only had half a glass of wine. Is that enough to make me smell?

I reflexively sniffed at my hand, which Reynos lightly wrapped around his and squeezed down, his eyes curving.

"You're blushing."

"Oh, I'm not red from drinking, it's from dancing... So I can drink now, right?"

"No. You already drank."

I'd already had half a glass. That's unfair.

But I didn't say anything. I don't want to be mistaken for a drinker by Reynos.

In the meantime, the nobles approached. They pretended to congratulate me but kept glancing at Reynos.

It was the first appearance of the much-rumored crown prince, so it was only fitting.

For some reason, Rublet was nowhere to be seen, though he was present during the dance with Reynos, but was gone when it was over. Something urgent must have happened.

Reynos sighed briefly at the attention being directed at him.

"Looks like they've lost their target. I think I should call it a day."

"Are you sure?"

I didn't mind the lack of attention.

I just figured it would be better to keep his mystique intact if he stayed out of the public eye for a short time rather than a long time.