"Let there be no injustice in punishing all sins, a mandate from the first chapter of the Code."

His penetrating gaze swept over the nobles held captive by the knights, sending shivers down their spines. There was no warmth in his eyes.

"Do you really think that the imperial court would create a place like this without proper investigation?"

Silence fell as the weight of his words sank in.

"From now on, if anyone innocent opens their mouth, they will face severe consequences."

With this stern warning, those who had been crying foul fell silent.

Count Essit, now in the same predicament, glared at Gerald with malicious intent, surrounded by his knights.

'How dare you...!'

Then, the names of all those on the ledger were called. Every individual, except for Tyriel who was already imprisoned, was present, fulfilling a secondary purpose of the betrothal ceremony.

As the captured nobles were led away by the knights, and the remaining nobles looked on with pale faces, Reynos, when all was said and done, expressed his gratitude to Marquis Cherish.

"I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to use the engagement ceremony, but I appreciate your cooperation. I will compensate you appropriately at a later date."

"No, if this is all that can be done to ease my grievances, I will be satisfied."

Behind the Marquis, Alice and Gerald lightly bowed as representatives. Reynos shook his head, turned to follow the knights, and then paused to whisper something to Gerald, making sure only he could hear.

"I'll see you soon, brother-in-law."

And then he was gone.

"...Brother-in-law?"

Dumbfounded, Gerald pondered over the crown prince's words, spoken so intimately. He had heard that Ciella had informed the Crown Prince of his plight, but he hadn't realized...

'When did my Ciella get married?'

More like the crown prince. Reynos had done it to score points with Ciella's family, but Gerald, who didn't know, had to rack his brains to figure out if he'd done anything wrong until he saw him again.

***

With the unfinished business of the Winter Sword Festival and the arrival of spring, a blade-like storm raged across the Empire.

People craned their necks and flattened themselves like turtles to avoid being caught in the crossfire, unwilling to act rashly for fear of what might happen next.

But even in these dark times, there would be those who would shine.

"Ciella Lavirins, forward."

It was I, Ciella Lavirins.

In the presence of all the high nobles of the Marquisate and above, dressed in simple robes instead of my usual colorful attire, I walked to the front of the dais at the call of the chamberlain and knelt quietly on the cushion.

Today was to be the Emperor's commendation of Lavirins for what Reynos had said the other day, for what had happened in the final.

I bowed my head and waited for the next order.

The chamberlain unrolled a scroll and spoke words of praise for my work.

"Ciella Lavirins, eldest daughter of Marquis Lavirins, has saved the prestige of the Imperial House from falling to the ground by uncovering the atrocities committed in the Temple."