Chapter 20-Inside Luke's Head

Luke's Pov

I am sitting on my bed looking through the scrapbook Sang made me of my 20th birthday. I am looking at a picture of Sang and I splashing North in Nat's pool, with Gabe and Vic laughing in the background. I smile to myself as I can hear her laughing and see North coming towards me to push me under the water. 

We had been busy on a mission with Sang for the Academy closing in on Volto. I just wanted to chill out and unwind with everyone for a day. I knew next year I would be 21, and I wanted a big blowout then so it was the perfect excuse for all of us to relax. 

That morning Uncle made me chocolate, chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream and chocolate chips on top, bacon, scrambled eggs and mixed fruit. North just shook his head, but did not say anything. We left and picked up Forever and Si at his apartment. Then we spent the day having a pool party at Nat's while Mr. B and Doc grilled lunch. Forever made taco soup for us that night and we had a cartoon movie marathon. It was great.

“Luke!”

I was so into my memory I did not hear North calling me, and it made me jump off the bed, dropping my scrapbook Sang had made me. Bending over I pick up my book and replied “You bellowed.”

“If you would stop day dreaming, you would have heard me. I say we need to leave soon. I have to pick up Si so we can get to Mr. B's on time.” Says North as he comes into the room. He looks at me and says “Whats wrong. You don't look too good. Do I need to call Doc?”

“Yeah, I'm ok bro. I am just not sure about this birthday celebration for me. Most of me is excited about the possibility of partying and relaxing for my birthday, but another part of me feels like its déjà vu. I know does not make sense, but its true.” Before he could say anything, I sat my scrapbook back on my desk, and turned to him saying “You know what, forget it. I’m just anxious. Lets go. I want to see what Emily came up with.”

I walk past him and head down the hall to the front door. I hear North come up behind me and grab his keys as I walk out the door towards his jeep. I open the back door and get in behind North so Si can sit in the front and have leg room. I look out the window on the left side, but I don't see the house. I am back in Sang's hospital room. She is looking at me with so much love in her eyes and I am blinking my eyes trying to hold in my tears.

“Lucian, come up here on my bed.”

Hearing her say my name sends chills down my spine, and I should not be getting excited that she said my full name like that. Trying to lighten the mood as I walk over to her I say “This must be serious since you said my full name."

“I always wanted to say your full name, I just was not sure if you would like me doing that or not.”

“I must admit, I like the way you say it” I lean over and kiss her deeply. I want her to know how her saying my name affected me. She moans and runs her hands through my hair as I deepen the kiss. I better stop or we won't get to talk. I end the kiss and place my forehead against hers. Our breathing is fast and her heart monitor is beeping like crazy. They must be used to it since no one has come in. 

Smiling at her I winked at her and said “You know I like to steal a kiss from you. Especially when I need some sugar.”

Sang starts laughing and smiled and I knew I would remember this forever.

“Luke, I am so thankful I went on my first mission with you. Not only was I able to spend some time with you, but you let me figure things out on my own, yet you took care and protected me. You make me feel like I was cherished and you are so romantic. I know they tease you about daydreaming, sweets, and being a big kid, but they are the things that attracted me to you. When I need someplace to go for a quiet or calm moment, I come to you. You are sweet, funny, caring, strong, and underestimated.”

Reaching up she placed her right hand on my cheek, with love shining in her eyes, “Lucian, Luke, Always, I love you. I will always love you. I want you to pinkie promise me that you will never change. Keep enjoying life and try to get people to see the positive in it. Life is serious, but should not be taken too seriously. If you change, I will come back and haunt you and not in a good way.”

“I pinkie promise with a thumb on top.” I say as we lock our pinkies together and twist so our thumbs meet at the top. I lean down kisss her softly on the lips and just hold her in my arms.

“We're here.” yells North. Si just smiles and inclines his head towards Mr. B's. They are used to me daydreaming, so its no big deal to them that I am always in my head.

I start blinking to hold back my tears that threaten to come out of my eyes remembering that final alone time with her. Man, I miss her so much. I don't remember arriving at Si’s apartment or the drive here. 

As I look out at Mr. B's house, I swear I see Sang standing on porch looking at me with an encouraging smile as her eyes telling me its ok. I blink to make sure I am not dreaming, but when they open, I don't see her. I miss Sang so much and as I turn and get out the Jeep, I tell myself I need something positive and maybe my birthday will be it. I sure hope so.