Chapter 1-Party Idea

Sean Pov

Dr. Roberts and I sat in the cafeteria after a long morning. Looking at the clock on the wall I can see I only have one more hour left on my shift and I can go home.

Between working twelve hour shifts, and trying to figure out how we can have a birthday bash for Luke, I am exhausted. I can hear my bed calling me to come rest and leave the stress behind.

I was so wrapped up in my thoughts, I jumped when Dr. Roberts called my name. Looking up I know that look in his eyes. He is determined and does not want any arguments.

"Sean, I know you guys want to plan a celebration for Luke's birthday, but you guys are going to be busy for a while. I know the perfect person for you all to contact. Who will make it an experience Luke and everyone there will never forget. She is an excellent event planner and her name is Emily," he said.

I look at my mentor's eyes and he is smiling so big. Lifting my right eyebrow at him, I teased "She must be good if you're smiling that big remembering her. Care to tell all good doctor?"

Dr. Roberts threw his head back and laughed. Winking, he said "a man never kisses and tells."

"Do you remember last year's fundraiser? The masked black and white ball for the abused women?" He continued.

Smiling and nodding my head, "I remember. All of us genuinely had a great time. It was the first time we all had a great outing as a family after Sang's death."

The week before the ball, Owen and I called a family meeting. Sang's last wish was for us to move on as a family. She was not sorry for what she did and would have done it again. She told each of us she loved us and that she wanted us to move on and to find another bird to love and care about and to stay strong as a family.

She made the ultimate sacrifice to keep us safe and together. No one wanted her death to be in vain so that night we honored Sang by enjoying ourselves. We have moved on and become a much closer family as a result. I pulled myself out of my memories as I heard Phil speak again.

"Well, she is the one who planned the whole ball. All we did was tell her it had to be formal, have great food and dancing. She did the rest."

"I think the guys would love the idea and, it will take a lot of pressure off of Gabe's shoulders. He wants it perfect." Phil continued.

"Alright, we will meet with her. Can you contact her?" I asked quietly.

"Alright then Sean, I will text her and tell her some of my friends are coming by to talk to her about planning a birthday party."

"Thanks Phil, we really appreciate it."

"Not a problem."

As he was pulling his phone from his pocket, a woman's voice came over the hospital intercom "Paging Dr. Roberts, Paging Dr. Roberts, you're needed in the emergency department, trauma room one."

Dr. Roberts got up nodding. "I'll text you what she says, as well as her address and phone number."

Standing up as well I nodded back, "Thanks again Phil."

Tossing our trash I walked down the hallway to my office. Once in my office, I called Owen to tell him about the idea of the event planner, and that Dr. Roberts was going to text me the appointment time and place.

He agreed it would help us out and he wished to attend. He would also contact Mr. Coleman, Mr. Taylor, and Mr. Morgan so they can attend as well. While talking to Owen, my cell phone vibrated. I looked at the text to see a message from Dr. Roberts.

"Sean, your appointment is set with Emily tomorrow at 10 am. Below is the name of the Company, address and phone number. Enjoy your day off tomorrow."

I reply to Phil "Thanks, we will be there" and told Owen the appointment was tomorrow at 10am.

He said he will be here when I get off to take me home, and he will have Mr. Taylor, Mr. Coleman and Mr. Morgan ride together and meet us at my house tomorrow at 9:30.