Chapter 17-What Do You Recommend

Chapter 17

Emily Pov

As I walked into the Diner, I stopped in my tracks. This is not what I expected from a Diner. It was not what I expected at all. It was painted in a cream color with light blue and black neon lights around the ceilings. The floor had cream and gray checker tiles on the floor and cream tile floors in the lobby floors. The servers have on black polo shirts that say Bob's Diner in light blue and jeans. The seats are red and the tables are cream. The lunch counter is stainless steel and the has red stools. The tables each have a red bottle for ketchup, a yellow bottle for mustard, salt and pepper shakers and an OMG, is that, yes it is, as 5 cent jukebox. Above me there is a sign that says Bob's Diner. I loved it and I have not even had the food.

Dr. Roberts Pov

I am glad we talked it out and I can tell she is feeling better so I decide to make her smile and laugh. When she walked in, she stopped and took it all in. I can tell from her smile, she loves it. Thank goodness for Gabe.

“Oy, Emily, I'm glad to see you again.” Gabe smiled while looking at her outfit.
“Looking good, Emily. Love the cowboy boots. What's up with the outfit."

“Thanks Gabe. I am throwing a western theme birthday party tonight, and I need to blend in.”

I looked up and saw Luke is serving Owen and Kota and caught his eye.

“Come on Em's, let me take you over to meet the rest of the guys.” I smiled. As Jessica walked by, I asked her if she could ask Silas to come out to Mr. B's table. She nodded yes and kept going.

Emily Pov

I start to feel nervous again, but I look up and see Sean and Owen and my nerves settle. Weird, but whatever.

“Emily, this is Dakota and Nathan," Phil murmured, nodding to the two men sitting and "the one standing is Lucian."

“You can call me Luke." The guy standing said. I turned to him and swallowed. He looks like a model with his blond hair coming down to his shoulders and brown eyes. 

“So you're the birthday boy I get to observe tonight. Uh, not that I am complaining or anything. Wait, that did not sound right. Anyway Congratulations. How old are you going to be?” I said feeling flustered.

Laughing loudly Luke grinned “22”.

"Well, that’s a reason to party so it shall be a good one.”

I turned to the one sitting next to Mr. Blackbourne, as I have felt his eyes on me since we came up to the table. He looked like a younger Mr. Blackbourne. The first thing that came to mind is Mini Me. He has green eyes and rich brown hair that looks so soft. I just want to run my hands through it. He is wearing black rimmed glasses. “You can call me Kota.”Just glancing at him, you would thing he is a nerd, but I can hear the command in his voice and know he is not. I shook his hand and said "Will do”.

I turned to the one sitting next to Sean and asked “Do you have another name I should call you?"

Smiling, he said “No, you can call me Nathan”. I look at him noticing he does not have red hair as I first thought. It's a reddish brown and he has blue eyes that look a little sad. I can tell from here he is fit.

“Oh, here he is. Emily, this is Silas." Phil said turning around.

I turn around and automatically take a step back into Phil. If North was someone who put me on edge, this is someone I would not want to meet anytime of day when he is pissed off. He has to be a foot taller than me and I feel so small as I look up to him. He has tan complexion so he must be outside a lot. He has full, thick black hair and dark brown eyes. He body screams silent and deadly. Swallowing my nerves as he walked up, I stick my hand out saying “Nice to meet you, I'm Emily."

“Nice to meet you. I'm Silas."

Oh my, he has an accent. I am a sucker for an accent.

“Not be rude or disrespectful, but I like your accent, are you from the Mediterranean?"

Blushing he says: “Thank you. Yes, I am from Greece.”

“Oh, I always wanted to tour Greece. Well, I'm from Charleston, so its all good honey.”

They all started laughing and I just shrugged and turned to back to the table.

“Good Evening Sean, Mr. Blackbourne."

“Hey Emily," Sean grinned.

“Good evening Miss. Sway. Would you two like to join us for dinner?”

“Sure.”

Phil sat next to Mr. Blackbourne and I moved to sit next to Sean. He turned to me and winked. I blushed and hid my face in the menu asking: “So what do you guys recommend here?” 

All at once I hear. “Strawberry shake” Nathan announced.

“Grilled chicken chopped salad” Mr. Blackbourne stated.

“Grilled Chicken sandwich and fries” Kota smiled.

“Chocolate-chip pancakes and bacon” Luke grinned at me. 

“Patty Melt with Curly Fries” Gabe countered with, smirking at his friend.

“Bacon Double Cheese Burger with fried pickles and Onion Rings” Silas admitted looking hungry.

“Apple Pie” Sean replied.

“Fried Green Tomato BLT with fries” Phil finished with.

They all shout their favorites out to me at the same time and I laugh.

"Well, I can't eat all of that tonight and since I’m here for Luke, I will try the Chocolate chip pancakes and bacon."

“You like chocolate chip pancakes Emily?” asked Sean.

I look around at the guys “I never had them before and thought I would try them. Besides, I like a full stomach when I work events. I won't get Hangry. ”

Looking at Luke I asked "Are they not good?”

“You will love them. I will put extra chocolate chips in them since you have to work tonight.”

“What's Hangry?” Nathan asked looking directly at me.

“Its showing or having strong feelings of annoyance, hostility, and anger caused by lack of food, especially sweet things.” says Luke.

“Oh trust me guys, you don't want to see her Hangry” Phil announced.

The guys start laughing, making me blush.

“Humph, I am not that bad Phil.”

“So in other words, she turns into North when she gets hungry.” Nathan grinned.

“Who turns into Me?”

I turned around and looked up to see North. Before he opens his mouth, I hear a booming voice say “Alright you three, you have been here long enough. This is not a meeting. Get back to work.”

I looked up and an older male version of North comes walking over smiling at the guys. I calmed down when I saw his smile. I would hate to get the guys in trouble.

“Uncle, we are taking their order and Si is cleaning the plates from the rest of the guys.” says Gabe as Silas reached over and grabbed Kota and Mr. Blackbourne's empty plates.

“Oh, Good Evening Dr. Roberts, I see we have a new bird at the table. You can call me Uncle. What's your name?"

“Emily, Emily Sway. Is this your diner Sir?"

'Yes it is, mine and my nephews. Please just call me Uncle or Unc.” he says pointing to Luke and North.

"Well, I must tell you I love the diner. It's not your typical diner you would expect, but it works so well together. I would not have thought of the colors together, but it works. If the food is as good as the decor I will definitely be back.”

“Thanks Emily. My boys, Gabe and I designed it. North, Silas and their friends built it and Gabe did the interior design. I just get to cook in it and run it.”

“Gabe, you did a fantastic job. I love it. All of you guys did. North and Silas, if you guys helped build it, you must be good with your hands. I bet it took a lot of work doing this.”

Silas is laughing as North says something in Greek. Silas says something back in Greek. Everyone else is looking at me shocked and stunned. They they all start laughing. I don't get it.

“What's so funny? I'm serious.”

Sean says between laughter “You just told two hot blooded men….one of whom is Greek….. that they are good with their hands.”

Blushing, I try to clean it up saying "Well, I didn't mean that... I mean I am sure you guys are...I mean I wouldn't know …..Oh, never mind.”

That just makes them laugh harder. I look to Mr. Blackbourne for help and he is smiling at me. Small one, but smiling. Dear Lord, if he ever smiles a real smile, I probably would just melt at his feet and do whatever he asked. Emily, focus on conversation, not Mr. Blackbourne's smile.

Gabe says “It was just some ideas I had for his Diner a while ago. I am just glad he liked it.”

“Well if any of you quit your day job, let me know. I may need to use you for one of my vendors.”

“Emily, you can not steal my team members away for me to be your vendors. No matter how good they are with their hands.” says Kota.

That made them all laugh again.

“Alright guys, back to work. I'm sure they want to eat sometime tonight."

Silas turned to me and said "It was nice meeting you Emily. I will see you later.”

I reply: “Nice meeting you too.”

“I better get back to the soda counter. Oy, Doc said you may want to call me tomorrow, what's your number and I will text you yours.”

I see all the guys reach for their phones and I smile to myself. I rattle off my number as they add it to their phone.

“Miss Sway, we will forward your phone number to the rest of the team, and with your permission we will all text you back our names, so you will know who's number belongs to who.”

“Alright.” turning to Gabe I said "Thanks Gabe. That may be helpful.”

“Dr. Roberts," Luke interrupt "Are you getting your usual?"

“I most certainly am." Phil grinned.

“Alright, I will ring in your orders.” He said as he Silas, Gabe, and Uncle walked off.

“Emily, I just stopped by to say I'm sorry again for accusing you this morning. I had a rough night and morning, but I should not have taken it out on you.” says North. He looks so dejected I felt bad for him. I stood up and gave him a hug. He was still for a moment like he did not know what do to, then I felt his arms come around me. I squeezed him once and then stepped back. I looked up into a stunned face and told him “You're forgiven North. I am used to people doubting me. I just want to you to trust me. I will do my best for you and your team. If you don't like it, let me know and I can tweak it or redo it. If you don't want me to do it, I understand that too.”

North nodded and pulled up a chair to the table and sat down. The guys started talking as my cell phone went off. I looked down and see several text messages, each one a separate guy's name. I added them to my contacts and put the phone back just as Luke came back with our food.

“Wow, that was quick. Thanks Luke."

“You're welcome pretty lady. Let me know what you think.”

Nodding, I started to cut into my stack. As we eat and the guys talk, I noticed Luke went around talking to all the guests in the diner. He seemed to have a carefree attitude and liked to make people laugh. I also noticed when a couple walked in or held hands or kissed he looked a little sad and hurt. He tried to cover it up, but I saw it. 

I know what I am going to do as I start sentences forming in my head. I turn to the guys and Phil saying “Alright. I know what I am going to do. I will have it ready tomorrow by 7 pm. I will fix dinner for you guys. Phil, if you want to come, you can. I will save some for you.”

Right after that statement, my cell phone rang again. Looking I saw it was my location vendor for tonight. Excusing myself I walked away listening closely. Hearing I have a problem and I told them I was on my way. Walking back to the table “I have to leave. Duty calls. I will see you tomorrow evening.” I spoke quietly.

“I should have driven. Will you be alright walking back home?” Phil announced.

“Sure. It's just three blocks. No Problem.”

“We will drive you back as we have to leave as well” Kota announced rising from his seat with Nathan.

“Thanks guys. You guys have a great evening and see you tomorrow.”

As we walk to the car, my phone rang again with a call from my client. It's always something the client wants to change at the last minute, I think to myself as the guys pull up to my business. Strange, since I did not tell them where it is. Another sign they did their research.

Asking my client to hold one moment I turned to them “Thank you for bringing me back. I will see you tomorrow and have a good evening.” 

Kota and Nathan both smiled gently. "You too Emily."

Another day at the office I think to myself as I hop in my car and head to tonight's venue.