Chapter 8-Can it get any worse?

North Pov

As we walk into the conference room, I hear Emily say: "Please help yourselves to something to drink and to eat at the side table.” I turn and see she actually has seasonal fruit, coffee, tea, and Doc is excited she has a single coffee maker. I just shake my head as I reach for a plate. When Vic asked her where she purchased her china from, I actually look at it. Its really does have our colors on it and I feel more relaxed. I take it as a sign that she may be able to pull this off since they all seem to be impressed. I know my role so I continue be be on guard.

As she starts asking about Luke’s birthday and what we want, I try to relax. I chime in to make it appear I am paying attention. When she asked about Luke’s likes and what we did not want, I did not want him thinking about Sang and getting depressed so when she asked about anything he did not want, I told her everything I could think about that would remind him of Sang. She just seemed to good to be true. 

I know she is up to something, I just have to watch and see. When she asked about his current girlfriend, I knew that was it. I told her he did not have a girlfriend. Luke told me that now that females know Sang is gone, he is getting hit on a lot more and wishes it will stop. When she says that she is doing it for free, I had to call her on it. And I was not going to back down. I help protect this family and we will not be used.

I was prepared for the punishment of hours I knew I would get, but this was family and worth it. What I was not prepared for was the way she flinched liked I smacked her and the tears that filled her eyes. When she cut off Mr. B, I knew I made a big mistake. I could feel the hurt and anger rolling off of her and I was not prepared by what she had to say.

“First off, North. You don't know who I am. So might I suggest you read the background check your team ran on me, and my business, before you throw accusations and innuendos at me." 

My eyes grew big at that statement as the room went completely quiet. That's when I knew I just made a terrible mistake. When she spoke about Dr. Roberts, I knew I was in for more punishment besides Mr. B's workouts. That just confirmed how close they were. Shit. This was not good. When she said she had been working her ass off for us and I just insulted her, I felt lower than scum. I always put my foot in my mouth when I get nervous, protective or excited. I think it was all of the above, but I could not apologize now. After she politely dismissed us from the meeting, we gathered our plates and cups to leave. Victor walked by like he could beat the crap out of me. Gabe and I walk out. 

“What the fuck man? You need to calm down with all the over protectiveness. It's getting really bad and you just embarrassed us all. Now we have a meeting in 30 minutes at Doc's with everyone.”

I just nod as Victor says goodbye to Emily. Gabe tries to lighten the mood by asking her to the Diner tonight. Glad I'm not working tonight as it's Gabe, Si's and Luke's turn tonight. I was shocked she said yes. Don't event planners have events at night.

I try to walk past her and she says: “North, I will plan something memorable for your brother. I'm not sure who broke your trust or hurt you, but you can trust me. I will even throw in something healthy.”

I know she is trying to make sure I am alright and it makes me feel even worse. I decide to apologize to her saying “I'm sorry I snapped at you. In my experience, people don't do things for fee without wanting something in return. I really do want to see what you come up with. Your website pictures were amazing."

When she says,“I just want you to trust me. I guarantee if I plan the party, he will not forget it.” I nodded, turned and head towards Vic and Gabe at the car.

I just get in and get lost in my thoughts. As we pull off to head to Doc's, I swear I see Sang standing by the door looking disappointed at me. I blink a couple of times and look again, but I don’t see her. I exhale deeply thinking I am seeing things now. I wonder if they day can get any worse as we head back to Doc's.