Chapter 123: Magical Foci

If you like what you see and what more, please drop a vote, or leave a comment, and bookmarking it would mean the world to me!

Also you can find advance chapters, commission art, and more bonus content on my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/Mark_Ward Your support would go a long way in helping a small time author, thanks!

-------------------------------------

Getting back to the gathering with Dumbledore, Harry saw that everyone was there; including champions and schoolmasters.

There were seats laid out for everyone and Harry took one as Dumbledore addressed the gathered group.

"May I introduce to you all, Mr. Ollivander?" Dumbledore pronounced, taking his place alongside the other headmasters and mistresses table and talking to the champions. "He will be checking your wands and other magical foci to ensure that they are in good condition before the tournament."

Harry looked around, and with a jolt of surprise saw an old wizard with large, pale eyes standing quietly by the window. Harry had met Mr. Ollivander before, a very long time ago when he was s new student and he was the wand-maker from whom Harry had bought his own wand from over three years ago in Diagon Alley.

"You don't have to worry," the old man smiled, "he is well versed in not only our European wands but nearly all major magical foci used around the world. So there is no one better to undertake this task."

"Greetings," the old wizard inclined his head to everyone as he stepped forward once Dumbledore was finished introducing him. "It has indeed been a very long time since some one from the Ollivander family has been able to be responsible for the magical tool weighing ceremony of the Triwizard tournament! It is an honor for house Ollivander to have this privilege again."

A small round of applause echoed in the chamber as everyone gave a few polite claps.

"Your royal highness, could we have you first, please?" the old man bowed to the Russian princess.

Getting up and walking over to the old wizard, she summoned her magical tool and handed it over. Harry saw that Mr. Ollivander held a Scepter in his hand.

All around the world wizards and witches from different parts of the use distinct types of magical implements. The reason is because anything could be a magical tool to help you cast magic; all magical tools are just a focus and at its core, a magical focus is essentially a lens for magic. A focus gathers magic from the world around the caster and directs the energy into a spell.

A focus does not in itself perform magic, and a practitioner does not necessarily need a focus in order to work magic, but it makes it easier for a practitioner to perform a spell.

Many wizards and witches have found unique and interesting foci, and a wizard's foci can often be very personal, chosen for their own reasons. You don't have to just use a wand like most European wizards and witches do so there is a vast diversity of them everywhere.

Scepter are very close cousins to wands, unlike wands who make use of magical creatures parts for cores a scepter on the other hand uses a gem or crystal.

"A Khalni Gem, how very rare indeed," the old wandmaker whispered as he turned the Scepter in his hand to which it let out a flurry of snowflakes. "They only form once every 10,000 years!"

"Yes, daddy alvays says only the best forr the royal line!"

"Hmmm, very powerful," the wandmaker noted as he gave the scepter a few more tries, once he was done he handed it back. "Everything seems in order."

"Mademoiselle Delacour, could you come up, please?" Mr. Ollivander turned to the mixed breed girl, once Catherine took her seat.

Fleur Delacour swept over to Mr. Ollivander and handed him her wand.