☁︎ tossing and turning.

—

i kicked the blanket off of my feet for the fifth time. unable to find a position with the with the blanket that made me warm, but not overwhelming hot. horror films before bed was disgustingly terrible idea, considering that i always have a hard time falling asleep. johnny was the complete opposite. the second he closes his eyes, he's out.

groaning under my breath quietly when i realized that this position wasn't comfortable either and i slowly flipped over to my other side. trying not to jostle or roll johnny off of the bed along the way. he stirred next to me and froze before i could fully settle, body stopping in an intensely uncomfortable position. johnny's arm tightened around my waist, keeping locked in. groaning out of frustration because i just wanted nothing but to sleep, yet my body wasn't letting me. i felt johnny stir again, this time on his own side instead of mine, so i took the opportunity to easily slide out of bed.

softly, i padded into the living room. hoping the the change of scenery would help me get some rest. just couldn't care to wake johnny, he rarely got enough sleep as it was and he didn't need me making it worse. the stiffness of the couch cushions wasn't entirely welcoming, but at least i wasn't disturbing johnny this way. i pulled the cotton throw blanket onto my body. may have been warm, but sleeping without a blanket of some sort was impossible.

i still continued to toss and turn, unable to find the right position here either. but i couldn't wake up john this way and it gave me room to spread my legs out in any position i could think of, in an effort to find the perfect one. slowly resigning myself to the fact that sleep may not come to me tonight. i looked forward into the kitchen and squinted my eyes to read the time. flipping over again, mumbling about how my body desperately needed sleep but wasn't letting me have it and how it needed to get its priorities straight.

i glanced back over at the clock, 3:13. no sleeping tonight. the sound of johnny's shuffling feet pulled me out of my thoughts, making me look toward the hallway that the bedroom was down. moonlight sleeping through the curtains portraying his rough outlines, his blonde locks pointing every which way. each step seemed like it took minutes of contemplation passing in his fogged mind. he came over to the couch, trying to lay down with me. i stood up instead, steadying him with my small hands on his waist.

"woah there," i giggled. "what are you doing out here?"

"i sleep with you," he grumbled. "and you're here, so i sleep here."

"baby.. go back to bed," i sighed. "i can't sleep john and i don't want to keep you up with all my tossing and turning."

"i sleep with you no matter what," was all he said in reply.

groaning in frustration, i knew this discussion was a done deal and that both of us wouldn't fit on this couch. i surrendered and began to haul his sleepy ass back to bed. through the faint light that casted into the bedroom, i could see the lazy, tired smile on his face whilst i settled back into bed with him. his arm draped over my stomach, keeping me close, and giving me space to breathe. i didn't need to anymore, maybe my brain subject to the bed being fat better than the couch. maybe it was johnny's heavy strong arm that was carrying me into a world of sleep with him. either way, i finally drifted away with sleep, with his arm around me. right where he wanted me to be.