Oneshot No. 73 (712 Words)

context: tommy (19) is dreams (21) sibling

tw: swearing
tw: nsfw (kinda

TOMMYS PERSPECTIVE:

I put my ear to Clay's door. He'd been in an argument with his girlfriend, and I was pretty sure they were bound to end it soon.

"You fucking cheated on me, and with my best friend!" Clay yells. I can almost imagine his knuckles white with anger as he clenches his fists and yells at his toxic girlfriend. He's finally had enough.

"It was a mistake," she scoffs. 

"If you're really in love with someone you don't fuck their best mate at a party and lie to your boyfriend the next day. I'm over you."

"I'm sorry!" she growls. I never thought those two words could sound so angry.

"You're not sorry for hurting me. You're sorry you got caught. Get the fuck out of my house."

"Clay-" she begins.

"OUT."

I wince. I run around the corner as her shoes click and she walks to the door. She leaves without a word. Clay, a few minutes later, leaves his room too. He heads for the back door, and I assume he's going for a drive by himself to collect his thoughts. 

I look at him, but he doesn't look at me. I jump up and run for him and catch his shoulder. He doesn't flinch, simply continues walking. 

"Are you two..." I trail off, unable to find the right words. 

"Don't talk to me," he says. I can hear his temper rising, but I stupidly kept prodding at him. 

"Clay...? Are you oka-" 

He grabs me by the shoulder and I feel his grip almost pierce through my skin. He shoves me back.

"OW!" I yell.

"Fuck off, Tommy." Clay slams the door shut. 

I stand behind the door. I don't know what to do. I feel my face grow hot and realise I'm about to cry. I tried to prevent it, but I knew it was bound to happen. I could still feel his hands grip on my shoulder as he forcefully shoved me back. 

I run around the corner, my feet sliding on the smooth marble tiles before I enter my room. I shut the door quickly and slump down behind it. The tears burst forth like water from a dam, spilling down my face. I feel the muscles of my chin tremble and I look toward the window, as if the light could soothe me. As much as I tried to hold it in, the pain came out like an uproar from my throat in the form of a silent scream. The beads of water started falling down one after another, without a sign of stopping. Muffled sobs wracked against my chest. 

I slipped my hand down into my jeans pocket and grabbed my phone. I searched my contacts for Toby. 

I found his contact swiftly, and I had never dialed him quicker. He picked up nearly immediately. 

"Tommy? Is everything okay?" I hear him say from the other line.

"Toby, oh my God, Toby, it's so nice to hear your voice," I say, breathlessly. Toby was the one person who could make me feel better. I had no hesitation in calling him my absolute best friend. 

"What happened? Are you crying?" 

"I- Toby, Clay and his girlfriend got into an argument and I heard it all, and-"

"Tommy. Take your time. Deep breathes, okay?"

I inhale. Exhale. Breathe. 

"Now tell me what happened," he says soothingly.

"Clay and his girlfriend were fighting in his room. They were arguing and I heard why. I think Clay is angry at George. I... I think Clay's girlfriend cheated on him with George."

"...Oh my God. Tommy, that's-"

"Insane. Ridiculous. Ludicrous. I know, I know. And I tried to ask if he was okay and he shoved me."

"Did he hurt you?" Toby asks frantically.

I pull the short sleeve of my shirt away from my skin and look at it. It aches like hell, but theres no mark.

"...No, no," I lie. It's not bad or anything, but every wound hurts at first. 

"You're lying to me."

I don't know how he knew.

"Tommy," he says.

"Toby?"

"Did he hurt you." It's not a question; more of a demand. 

"Everything hurts at first, It's nothing," I admit.

"I'm coming over."

He hangs up. I run hands over my face. For Christ's sake.