Oneshot No. 69 (375 Words)

context: dreamteam in highschool, but its the 90s B)

tw: cigarettes
tw: swearing

NICKS PERSPECTIVE:

The three of us are chilling in Clay's room. I nudge George and gesture to Clay. He's off with the fairies, head in the clouds.

George chuckles gingerly.

"Thinking about her again?" he asks.

"Again? She never left my head," he says purely. He gets up from his desk and flops onto his bed. George takes his spot at his desk. I sit on the edge of the bed, back against the wall.

"You should ask her out," I suggest. "George, pass me one," I say as I glance at the cigarettes in his pocket. He pegs the lot at me with a giggle.

I hold the cigarette in between my two fingers and put it in my mouth. I bring my lighter up to the tip of the cigarette, and suck in as if I'm drinking a milkshake through a straw. Once it's lit, I pull a little smoke into my mouth. I hold it in my mouth for a moment, let it cool down. I remove the cigarette from my mouth and blow the smoke out through my mouth.

"She's out of my league," he responds. 

"That's something I'd never expect anyone to say about you," George says. "You realise we're the most popular guys at Bayview High, right?"

"What if she doesn't like baseball players, aka me. What if she likes geeks?" he scoffs in response. Once my cigarette tip is just fine grey ash, I grab the ashtray tucked under Clay's bed to hide it from his parents. I tap the ashes and stub it out.

"Then send her Georges way," I laugh lightly.

George laughs too, and we both wait for Clay to laugh. He doesn't. "Sorry," I say.

Clay exhales and gets up. He grabs his backpack, and I notice George look down frantically at his watch.

"Shit," he says. "It's 8:36, we're gonna be late for school."

"I know a shortcut, it's fine," I say as the three of us, which our backpacks, leave Clay's house. I trail next to George who's walking behind Clay. Clay swivels around and under-arm throws me the keys to the car. 

"Shotgun," he says, hops in the front. 

George grunts. I get in the drivers seat. 

"Fine. I'll get in the backseat. Again."