Oneshot No. 149 (448 Words)

context: dreams 13 in school

DREAMS PERSPECTIVE:

I sit in the Principal's office with all my belongings.

My mum sent me to a school with a good education, good facility and good staff members. Which, obviously, wasn't a good fit for me.

When the Principal walks back in, Mr. Nelson, my mum follows him in.

She looks at me with a frown and sits on the chair next to me. Mr. Nelson sits across from us, behind his desk.

I feel sick. I don't wanna dissapoint my mum.

"Hi, Ms. Wastaken. I've brought you into school today because I think we need to discuss your sons behaviour and actions in class and outside of class," Mr. Nelson starts. He pulls out a few papers out from his drawers and I chew my lower bottom lip to make sure I don't start crying.

He clears his throat. "Firstly, I see a lot in Dream. He's a good kid at heart and there is something there. But he's failing nearly every class."

My mum simply nods.

"He also, multiple times, has been caught leaving school premises during school hours. He's raised his hand to go to the bathroom and grabbed all his stuff and left the school grounds."

My mum still just nods.

"And, as you may know, he's been in a few pairs of handcuffs rcently. He's been comitting crimes such as truancy, agrivated assault and everytime has slipped out of charges." Mr. Nelson puts his papers away.

He continues, "so, the school and I have come to a conclusion that..."

I look at Mr. Nelson, eyes glassy with tears.

"...maybe... Our school is not the best fit for your son. And we are going to have to expel him."

"I-" my mum stutters. "I completely understand. But... no other school will take him," she says.

"Mum?" I whisper.

"Ms. Wastaken, we'll do our best to help you find the perfect school for Dream."

My mum shakes her head slightly and looks at me, then Mr. Nelson, then back at me.

"Thank you, for your time trying to educate Dream."

"Thank you, Ms. Wastaken. We wish you and Dream a blessed life."

My mum grabs my wrist and rushes us out of the room.

Once we get in the car, she doesn't drive. She simply puts her hands on the wheel and stares out the windshield.

"I'm sorry," I choke out, tears falling down my face. "I don't want to disappoint you."

She turns to look at me and cups the side of my face with her hands.

Her hands are so gentle against my skin, even after everything she was just told.

"It's okay, Dream. Some schools just... don't deserve you and your baggage."