Oneshot No. 31 (655 Words)

context: (some) dream smp members are all relatives and are at a family event (theyre all young; about 8-11)

TOBY'S PERSPECTIVE:

Shying away from the event, I ducked myself behind my mum's legs. I wrapped my hand around her thumb, watching all my cousins play and have fun. I really wanted to, but I felt too nervous. What if they found me annoying or irritating? I wasn't gonna risk that. I wasn't a risk taker. My mum spun around and knelt down, holding my little hands. 

"Toby," she began, her voice as soft as silk, "are you gonna play with your cousins?" I peered around her and looked at all of them. I looked up at her, without saying anything, and she knew the answer. She smiled, ruffled my hair and gave me a kiss on my forehead. She spun back around and I continued to hide behind her legs. 

I later felt a jab at my shoulder. I turned around to see Tommy's face. He was my cousin, and he was the same age as me; 8. Last time I saw him he was playing with my other cousins, but suddenly he was trying to pull me away from my mum. He grabbed my hand and yanked me from behind my mum, pulling me over to my cousins.

Standing up with a patterned soccer ball under his foot was my 11 year old cousin, the eldest, Clay. Basically everyone was scared of him, but I think we all secretly looked up to him. And boy did he know it! He'd blab on about how Year 5 was so much harder than Year 2, 3 and 4, and how he had a girlfriend. We'd seen his girlfriend once, and man was she pretty. I'm pretty sure Nick has a crush on her. Once, he tried to tell Clay his feelings for Clay's girlfriend... and then he lost his first tooth.

Sitting down was George; Clay's best friend. He was a quiet kid, and I think Tommy dragged him from behind his mum out into the grass too. He was 10, and it was no secret that he admired Clay. I mean, don't get me wrong, there's a lot to admire, but boy did he make it clear.

Nick was sitting down next to George, fiddling with strands of grass. He was like a knock-off version of Clay, if you get what I mean. Tried to impress people, but it either backfired or failed miserably. He was also 10, and those three were the eldest cousins. We were all a bit scared and wary of them, but mainly Clay. Man, did Clay know how to punch.

I looked around for my other two cousins, Darryl and Wilbur. However, they were chatting it up with the parents. Being know-it-alls with the mental age of a 20 year old, they stuck around the parents and would always keep the adults engaged with their boring stories about school or some tedious stuff like 'advanced math.' They were both 9, leaving me and Tommy, both 8, the youngest. 

"Guys! Guys! Toby's gonna play with us, right?" Tommy glanced at me. I shrunk back into my shoulders, but took this as a chance to become more confident around my cousins. I waved a bit, and nodded. 

Nick, having attitude, frowned, "but Toby's boring! He doesn't know how to have fun." 

Clay snorted and stepped on Nick's hand, "shut up Nick. At least he's not a try-hard, unlike someone here..." He glared at Nick. I smiled at Clay, who smiled back. George remained silent. "Alright, who's in for tag? Not it!" Clay yelled. 

"Not it!" Nick, Tommy, George and I said in sync. We all looked at Nick, "fine! I'll be it." He groaned. He began counting down from 10, and Tommy dragged me along to hide behind a bush.

"If he comes over, just run!" He said, chuckling.

 I smiled and giggled.

 I could get used to this.