Chapter One Hundread and Seventeen

Mark was Devastated, but Jay didn't seem that surprised. They both said they would rally round and try to keep his spirits up and keep his mind off things.

I decided to ring Howard myself to show my support.

"Hey you!"I said with sympathetic tone.

"Oh Hi....Gaz left ages ago...is he not home yet?"

"No! He's here, I just wanted to call you to lend some support."

"He told you then?" He sounded sullen and upset.

"Well I did have to batter it out of him! But yes he told me... I'm so sorry Dougie"

Howard didn't answer...

"Look How I really don't know what to say, that was the last thing I expected, really I'm so sorry"

Still nothing...

"We are worried Howard..are you at home or still up your mums?"

"I'm in the park...I just had to sit a think for a bit."

"Ok! Are you ok? Or do you need some company?"

"Well I'd love you to come push me on the swing?" He tittered slightly.

"I meant Gaz, but I can come see you if you want me too?"

"I dunno...don't think I'm much company right now...there wouldn't be much conversation"

"Ok ....well we're here whenever you need us...ok?"

"Too be honest... Seeing couples isn't helping right now....I mean seeing how happy you are just....well....."

"I know...I'm sorry Babe!"

"Gary's a lucky man Mel...a really lucky man!"

"Howard...don't..."

"No! Let me finish....I have to say this...you...you are fantastic, you're loving, caring, trusting and one hell of a sexy woman, why the hell didn't I get out the truck before Gaz? Why didn't I claim you first?"

I wanted to protest...but no words came out my mouth.

I never knew Howard felt this strong.

"I......." Lost for words......yes, me!

"You don't need to worry Mel, I know nothing will happen between us... I tried to forget my feelings by drowning myself in Sam, I guess it was always going to end badly. She didn't love me and I was in love with you...who were we kidding??"

[WAIT.....DID HE JUST SAY....]

"Oh Howard..." My heart snapped hearing him pour his heart out.

"You don't have to say anything Melissa, I just have to stay single for a while, I will eventually get used to the fact you are in love with my best mate. And you keep him happy...instead of me."

Tears rolled down my cheeks he was spilling out his feelings and I could say nothing...what does one say to that?

"Howard...you...you know I love you right...but"

"But not like that...yes I know"

"Someone will come along, I know they will, you are one of the funniest, kindest men I know. I know they will come for you, I promise  ...I mean look at all those fans! Geez, I was one of them, and look what happened there, maybe one of them.."

"I know I could have any of them in a second, but something tells me it's not right. I guess I'll have to test my self control and patience now"

"Oh Howard , I'm so sorry things didn't work out I thought she was the one for you..I really did"