Chapter One Hundred and Sixteen

All the boys had little work on in the first few months of that year, so we spent most of our days doing our own things. We still met up for our monthly dinner parties, but not much in between.

For Gary's Birthday, he wanted to spend in Paris. So we packed up and took a private flight out on the Eve of his birthday. We all stayed in a beautiful traditional hotel right near the Eiffel Tower. With stunning views from every window we were truly spoilt.

Gary spoke some French, so we got by outside the hotel, we went for walks and even a spot of antique shopping turned up a beautiful side table, which Gary fell in love with. So yes...that came home with us too on the flight home.

Why do we always come home with more then we go out with?" I said as I unpacked our stuff on our return.

"I can't help it! I love mooching around in old shops" Gary was insatiable.

"Yes ...I know!"

One sunny winter morning, Gary got a call from Howard, they arranged to meet up for lunch, a coffee and a chat.

"A chat?" I said inquisitively.

"Yes....I thought that sounded odd too...but hey ho?!" Gary agreed "I'll be back about 3ish..ok? Any later and I'll let you know!"

"Yes ok Babe!" And I kissed his lips as I bent low.

"Bye bye Daddee!" Taylor waved with a wide grin on his face.

"Bye Squidge...take care of Mummy for me while I'm gone yeah?" He ruffled Taylor's hair playfully.

"Bye bye" he waved again.

While Gary was out I had a strange call from Sam, she asked if Howard was at ours. She sounded as though she'd been crying. I said no and asked if she was ok...but she just hung up!

I Bet they'd had a row! I would so hear about that later on when Gary got home.

He arrived back at just gone 3 as he promised.

"Ok?" I predicted his answer anyway.

"Errrmm...well" he paused for a while

"What's happened?! Sam rang looking for him.."

"She did?...what did you say?" He looks quizzical

"Well that he wasn't...and then she just hung up! Very weird ... Why what's wrong now?"

"She dropped a bombshell on him last weekend...he's not coping well on it!"

"Bombshell?! She's not pregnant is she?"

"Erm no!...nothing that nice anyway?!"

"Gary you're talking in riddles again ...what's happened? She sounded really upset on the phone!"

"Huh! Yeah ...she's upset! Right!" He spat.

"Yes Gary...she was upset! Gary Tell me?!"

"Ok...last weekend she sat him down and said she had something to tell him..."

"Yes you already said that!!"

"...I'm getting to it....he thought she was gonna say she was pregnant..just as I thought and you too it seems"

I nodded impatiently.

"She told him she'd been seeing someone else."

My mouth fell agape "NO!"

"Yep!" He nodded then shook his head.

"Oh My God! What.....I bet he went ape shit, didn't he?"

"Well I guessed that too, but he said he'd had an inkling for a while that she'd been messing around, so he was gonna bring it up with her, fully expecting her to deny it of course, thinking he was just being silly."

"Oh My God! Poor Howie...what's he gonna do?"

"Well he told her to leave and chucked her out, she been bugging him to try to explain ever since. Probably hence the call here earlier trying to find him.

"So he's been on his own all week without telling us all?"

"He's been to stay with his mum for a few days.." Gary continued. "He's a mess Mel. He said he swore she was the one."

"Oh no! God I don't know what to say..she...they..."

"I know, wedding's off and she's been thrown out."

"How could she? I mean..Howard fucking Donald?!! She must be mental! Did she say why? Was she drunk?"

"Apparently not! He only said that she was doing a lot of flirting like she does with everyone and one thing led to another with a guy at work one night, he said she never even apologised...she wasn't even sorry it happened."

"That's so...Oh My God! Poor Howard!"

"He's trying to look for positives now... Like she wasn't pregnant..they weren't married, things like that"

"Well there is that!"

"I'm just worried he will go mad, like he did when his last girlfriend Sandy was found out to be messing about!"

"Mad?! What do you mean mad?"

"Well he went out every night...got wrecked and slept about with everything in sight!"

"Hmmm... Not good for reputation or morale... Hope his mum will look after him for a while longer."

"Yeah! I may give her a ring actually..suggest it!"

"Does Mark and Jay Know?"

"I don't think so, spose they should know though shouldn't they?"

"I'll speak to them you ring Kathy!"