Chapter seventeen

The journey home was very odd. Only days ago we were thundering down the motorway screaming like kids cos we were off to see our "boys."
Now we were driving home to our poxy flat, feeling subjued by Gary's daughter being taken poorly and having to leave that stunning hotel.
Jason had taken a whole 20 minutes to say goodbye to Anna. I'd not heard from Gary at all since he rushed out the door. But I understood he needed to be with his daughter right now.
When the boys had returned from the meeting, they had explained that Becca collapsed at home after complaining of a really bad headache. Tests were being done to check for clots, but they couldn't rule out a hemorrhage just yet.
The bands management had cancelled the 'This Morning' interview and had no choice but to cancel the last Wembley gig, and play it by ear for the rest of the dates. The fans were outraged, but I hoped they would understand the reasons behind it eventually.

Anna had been quite tearful leaving Jason, understandable really...she had found her Mr Orange...and if I had still been with Gary I'm sure I would have been worse so.
But I wasn't...i had no boyfriend...no car....and no job. What a loser!!!

Once we had settled back home and sorted the flats rent. Things started to slowly return to how they were before the concert.
It had been 3 weeks and I'd still not heard from Gary, and I'd heard on the news 6 more dates had to be cancelled, due to Gary not being able to perform.
Jay had told us that luckily Becca had not suffered any clots and the diagnosis was febrile convulsions caused by a viral infection. She was now at home with her mum and I also heard Gary was staying there too.
Anna was back at work and she phoned Jason every night, he'd told her all was getting back on track and the 6 dates were being put on the tail end of the tour.
As far as he was aware Gary had no plans to get back with his wife??? So why hadnt he contacted me??!!

My daily duties today were food shopping!!!
I hated Asda on a Monday morning, I'd dropped Anna at work and headed to the supermarket armed with a massive shopping list! It was pay day for Anna.
The place was full of screaming toddlers not wanting to be in the trolley, or running off from their parents or ruining neatly stacked shelves. I just wanted to get in and out again ASAP.
Halfway down the crisp aisle my phone began to ring..."the flood" sang out loud and proud.
Irritated by the trolleys bashing weirdos..I snapped as I answered....
"HELLLLO!"
"Errrrrr...Mel?" Came a very familiar voice.
"Gary?" I whispered
"Hello....Mel is that you?" His voice got louder.
"Ummm yeah?!... I.....errr" I was lost for words, I had given up hope of hearing from him again.
"I gather you heard the news?!" He said reluctantly.
"I......well...I heard Becca was on the mend if that's what you mean!" I said nervously running my fingers through my hair.
"No! The other news....."
[ OH GOD NO...DONT LET IT BE TRUE!! ACT COOL MEL....ACT COOL]
"Ummm ...no!?" I wouldn't let on I was upset.
"She wants me back Mel......" He said quietly..
BANG! there it was......my heart popped!!
"Oh.....I ....err ...and??" Tears rolled down my face.
"I really don't know Mel..she really hurt me ...but..."
"Well Gary! You know what I think about her! If she did it once she will do it again!!"
"Oh...don't be like that Mel..I thought we were friends?" HA!!!!
"I'm sorry Gary!! But what we had was not 'friends!' And if you thought disappearing into thin air without even a goodbye and no calls for nearly a month..then ringing me to see what I think about you getting back with that BITCH...is what 'friends' do!!! Then you are seriously WRONG!
"Mel...please....I....." I cut him short.
"I had the bloody time of my life that weekend, I met the man that only appeared in my fantasies and you ask me that??" A few customers were now staring at me as my voice was at shouting level by now!
I continued "I'm so happy you enjoyed your 'bit of fun' ... But to me it was a big deal!"
Tears screamed down my face, taking my mascara with it..
"MEL!?..that's not......"Gary begun. Again I cut him short.
"Goodbye Gary!" I said softly through my tears and hung up the phone.
[ COULD MY HEART POSSIBLY ACHE ANY MORE THAN IT DID RIGHT NOW?]