Chapter Ninety Two

"Did I sleep through his feed?" I said rubbing my eyes as I sat up.
"Think he did too, didn't hear him till just now!"
"What time is it?" I yawned.
"Just after 8... Think we all needed some sleep last night!" Gary handed Taylor to me.
"Are you ok?" I looked him in his eyes.
"Think it's best we forget it yeah?" He said before disappearing into the kitchen.
"Um..ok? If you're sure you're ok?" I shouted after him.

"I have a band meeting to go to..I'll be a few hours tops!" He said handing me some biscuits on a plate and placing a cup of tea on the coffee table in front of me ..pulling it closer, so I could reach as I was feeding Taylor.
"Please tell me you're not splitting?!!!" I looked up to him with concern.
"Oh course we're not bloody splitting!! It's a meeting about the tour"
"I thought....well..you know...you promise???"
"Yes I promise Mel. See you later ok? Bye 'splodge'!" He wiggled Taylor's foot, causing him to pull off and look at his daddy with a big grin before resuming his milk. I looked up to Gary, I could still see the pain in his eyes, I just wanted to hug him, hold him close. He paused like he wanted the same thing..but he just swallowed and said "Love you", turned and left.

Anna phoned to check how things were, thankfully she confirmed the meeting was about the tour, she also reckoned some time away from each other maybe a good thing, I disagreed fearing he would be thinking about it too much and contemplate revenge somehow? I also worried for Howard.
She had told Jay everything and he assured her he would keep an eye on them both and stop them from doing anything stupid. She had faith in Jay and promised all would be ok.

As the album released things were still strained between myself and Gary. We were talking and sleeping in the same bed. But their was still a really bad atmosphere.
Gary's birthday passed without all the festivities of the previous year. It just didn't feel right. He did on the other hand love his Tom Ford I bought him and he adored his shirt he got from his girls. His favourite was the silver framed picture of the three of us from Taylor. He said he'd take it on tour with him. On the Eve of his birthday he disappeared for yet another meeting.
I sat alone flicking through the channels, Taylor had gone to bed and it was late, I was about to turn it off when I came across a news channel.
They were showing pictures of the Boys, Gary looking sad out and about alone. Turning up the volume they were reporting maybe their was trouble in the marital home, as the single and album sales were through the roof. Despite the tour being a sell out, he seemed sad and mournful and we were rarely seen together anymore. The press had noticed all was not great at the Barlows.
"Fucking Press!!" I said aloud switching it off and storming off to bed in a huff.
We'd only had sex twice since the Howard thing broke, things were clearly not right.
One night as I was cuddled into him from behind stoking his chest with my thumb, I asked him what was wrong.

"Nothing's wrong, I'm just tired, there's been a lot of promo with the album release, rehearsals, meetings, vocal work with Jay, we go on tour in two weeks, I'm not sure the stage is ready..the we are struggling to fit in the set we want....you should be thankful I'm still here, while I can be."

"Gary, you're snapping at me, there is clearly something wrong..I know it. I've seen the papers and the news reports,they've seen it too, you can tell me anything? You know that? Right?"

"Just let me sleep damn it, will you?" He snapped

The next day Anna came over when Jay had come with Paul to collect Gary for work.
"There is definitely something wrong Anna, I know it."
"You don't think he's still angry about Howard, do you?"
"I don't think so, this is different, he won't let me touch him, we don't have sex anymore, it's like he's gone off me, every time I mention it, he says he's tired, with the album, tour etc etc....I'm worried he's seeing someone. All the signs are there."

"I can chat to Jay if you like, but if they've made a man promise, he won't tell me squat!"

Thursdays that week, I'd had enough, he'd shunned me away again after a very passionate embrace against the wall in the lounge.

Pacing after him as he walked off I grabbed his bicep [ FUCK! ] to twirl him round to get an answer. "Right, I want you to tell me what the fucks going on? Gary???? What's the matter??? You don't normally just pull away after a kiss like that?"

Nothing!

"Is it still this thing with Howard?"
"No! It's not the thing with Howard!! Or you??!!!! It's me For Fucks Sake!!"
"You? Why? I don't understand Baby?! Do you still love me?" I prayed he'd say yes!
"Oh course I love you.." he said pulling me into his arms.
"I wanna help you Gary...please tell me what's happened?"

Silence again

I lone tear trickled down his cheek.

"Right, now you're upset! Tell me god damn it!!" I ordered him
"I don't want to tell you, cos If I do it will be real, and I don't want it to be real!"
"What? Gary you're talking riddles?! I said looking puzzled. "You won't have sex anymore, you won't let me touch you, what's wrong?" We were both crying now.

I heard Taylor stir in his room on the monitor. Gary went to get him but I stopped him in his tracks.
"HE CAN WAIT GARY! Stop avoiding it!"
He stood still, but his back was turned. I didn't care I just needed to know.
"Ok...a few months ago I was in the shower, soaping as you do..." He paused again and I wonder where on earth this was leading? But I let him continue in his own time. "... I......oh shit! I can't even say it!" He marched over and poured a very large Brandy.

[ GOD THIS MUST BE BAD ]

"Gary FUCKING Barlow ... I AM YOUR WIFE!! now tell me!"
He wiped each eye with the back of his hand. I walked to him and wrapped my arms around his muscular waistline. He slowly turned inside my hold.

NOTHING...

"GOD DAMN IT!!!" I stamped my foot and stomped off.

"I have a lump Mel!" He said so softly I barely heard.
"A......" Boom!!!! I got it....it all fell into place.
"Lump!" He repeated.
"Oh my GOD! Gary!!" I ran to him and held him tight, just as he burst into tears. We both sank to the floor. Cradling his head in my arms I repeated over and over.. "No....no....no....no!"