Chapter Seventy

"God I need coffee!!!" Gary sighed "cuppa???" He offered rising from the bed.
"Oh yes please!"
"Stay there and rest!" He ordered.
As Gary left the room I let out a big breath of relief...I'd shared my worries about Howard with Anna, been wrapped in the arms of the man I loved...a weight had been lifted...
My eyes drifted and stopped dead as they came across my dress, hung there on its £40 hanger, all dirty, ripped ...my heart sank.
"Awwww MAN!" I said aloud. I flicked back the covers and gingerly walked over and held the fabric in between my fingers..
"Damn it!"

"Don't worry about that, I'll buy you another one" Gary stood in the doorway holding a steaming cup of tea.
"I'm so sorry Gary...for everything...I ruined it all." My eyes began to sting from my salty tears.
"Hey!...." He strode over placing my cup down on the nightstand as he passed. "Don't you talk like that! It's only a dress....it can be replaced....you on the other hand cannot" No matter what Gary said it always made sense, he always made me smile.
" I know .....I'm just so" my knees buckled
"WOAHHHHH.....RIGHT ...BACK TO BED YOUNG LADY!" He said scooping me up and carrying me back to bed.
"I'm ok!!! I just..." I protested.
"NO ARGUMENTS EVANS!!!!"

After my tea and some toast and a nap..I felt much stronger. Anna had talked Gary into letting her take me out for some fresh air ( so we could meet Howard in the park) not that Gary Knew that!

As we prepared to leave the house Gary put on my coat and gave Anna her orders to call if I start to feel unwell etc...

"What time is it?" I asked Anna.
"Five minutes since you last asked..." Anna tutted. "Don't worry, he'll turn up?"

"Hi Girls!" Howie said as he approached. "Didn't know you were joining us Anna?!" He said looking at me.
"Yeah well we wanted to chat to you?!" Anna squeezed my hand.
"Uh..oh!..sounds like I'm being told off." He sat down on the end of the bench which we were sat on.
"Errr....look.....Howard...I have been thing thinking about what happened on Gary's Birthday!" I managed to say.
"Oh......and...Anna knows?" He frowned.
"She threatened it out of me...besides...you know girls share everything."
"Mmmmm...sounds......filthy!" Howard said in a low sexy voice.

[SHIT STOP THAT DAMNIT!!]

"Look...How, the last thing we want is for the band to come to blows cos of a silly bathroom incident, if you are having problems with Sam then maybe we can try to help...." Howard cut Anna off.
"We are NOT having problems...!! Besides.....I don't think it's any of your business!!!"
"HOWARD!!! She trying to help For Goodness Sake!" I stepped in.
Anna continued.. "..I will continue...hitting on your best mates fiancée isn't the answer...whether you are or are not having problems!"
Howard just stared down at the floor.
"Look Howie, I told you that day and I will tell you now...." I placed a hand on his thigh. "....I love Gary How! I can't hurt him...and I won't hurt him!"
"GEESUS! I only asked for a snog?!" Howard laughed.
"And I said No Howard!...I'm flattered...but .." Howard interrupted me.
"Ok! Ok! I wasn't THAT intrested?!"
"So you would be prepared to upset Gary, devastate Sam, break up the band, be hounded by the press....just for a kiss? Do you not think more highly of yourself than that?" Anna stood her ground.
"Howard....you gripped my arm so tight I was bruised for weeks..." I said with tears in my eyes.
"I....I what?" Howard's face dropped
"Luckily Gary believed me when I told him I knocked it on the radiator!" I said in a small voice.
"I didn't mean to hurt you Mel...I wouldn't" Howard said
"The point is..she's already had to cover for you Howard, lie to the one she loves, make up stories about bruises. How would Gary feel if he knew you'd done this to her ....and him?" Anna added.
"Alright alright! I get the message!" A tear fell off Howard's cheek.
"Howard....you know you mean the world to me, as with all the boys, you are all my family now, like protective big brothers. I just can't cope with the constant flirtation, the jokes about spit roasts? ...it's....it's too much" I spoke softly. "Please just respect that I'm in a relationship with the man I love, who so happens to be your best friend."
"Ok! I'll stop!" Howard sniffed in a manly way.
"We didn't ask you here to have a go at you...we just want to clear the air, have no more friction whenever you walk in the room." Anna always was good at using calming words.
"You sure you and Sam are ok?" I asked softly.
"Well ... I don't think we have any problems as such, we just don't...well ... Talk anymore! She never wants to go out anywhere with me, or talk about the future..anything!" Howard had never sounded this sad before.

"Ok, Mark came round one night after a fight with Vicki to cool down, he was so upset..I told him what I will tell you now. Arguments are healthy in a relationship, they strengthen our bond and teach each other that we cannot always agree with what each other agree with! There will always be new things couples don't agree on. Imagine what it's like for us girls...we have to really trust you boys 100%, that you don't get tempted by beautiful girls throwing themselves at you! like in those early days. Imagine what we worry about when you boys are away on tours? After all that's how I met Gaz and Anna met Jay! It's all built on trust. She may feel odd going to parties with the rich and famous...it does take a lot of getting used to...gees..I got starstruck last night with Elton, David and the Beckhams.
She needs you to overcome her fears....."
Anna added "Ok! Do you love her How?"
Howard raised his head and said softly. "Yes.....yes! I do?"
"Then you just have to go at her pace...give her your support on everything she worries about..." I smiled
"Show her the love...cosy nights in, night out together....just you two, compliments, but her gifts, new clothes, surprise her sometimes, remember what drew her to you in the first place...."
"Wow! That makes so much sense! Thank you Girls...I'm really gonna try!....in fact .....right now!" He stood up and dialled a number in his phone. "Hey Sexy! I'll be home in 10 minutes, meet you in bed! He grinned as he hung up. "See you later girls!" And he was off, jogging away.

Anna and I looked at each other and laughed.

"MEN! So predictable!" Anna giggled.
"Think SAMs in for it big time now!! Hahahahaha" I chortled.

We decided to head home, the walk was actually really relaxing. We chatted about the good old days, her and Jason and the baby as we walked along kicking stones...