Chapter twenty eight

THE TRIAL

As we pulled up to the courthouse I threw up again in a bowl Gary had brought with us in the car. Only bile was present now as I hadn't eaten since on the plane home from Dubai.
Gary made sure I had regular sips of water, so I didn't get dehydrated.
"It's ok Baby!" Gary dabbed my mouth with a tissue and offered me a sip of water from a bottle he was holding.

The press were out in force as Anna predicted. Gary had James drive us there and Paul to keep the Paps away from me.
"I can't do it...." I said quietly
"Shhhhhhh...it's ok!!, we will go slowly...we can't...WONT....show this dickhead that he has any chance of beating us....cos he hasn't!!" Gary stroked my pale cheek.
"Ok James, you come up with us too." Gary called to the guys in the front, whom I was now very fond of and familiar with.
Paul jumped out the car..the flashes started..our Barister met us at the car also. The car was surrounded by Police and Security.

"Ok" James turned around. "Gary you know the drill, Miss Evans, when we open the door, straight to the steps ok?"
I nodded and looked at Gary.
"Don't worry Baby...I will look after you." Gary kissed me on the cheek. "Just hold my hand, ok?"
I nodded again.
My stomach turned again.....

[ SHIT I CANT!!!!]

James got the nod from Gary...this was it!!!
I suddenly felt a huge adrenalin rush.....

[ I MUST DO THIS......I HAVE TO DO THIS......FOR GARY]

Gary squeezed my hand one last time...and his door flew open and out he got, to flashes and shouts of

'GARY!!! WHERES YOUR GIRLFRIEND??? '
'GARY...THIS WAY!!'
'GARY DID YOU NOT WANT A THREESOME??'

Within those few seconds in that car on my own I just shouted 1 word...... FUCKER!

My door opened, I tucked my hair behind my ears and stepped out the car, I looked up and saw a hand...Gary's hand ....already there reaching out for me. My eyes followed up the wrist and sleeve of his pinstripe suit, till I saw his face. "I'm here" he mouthed and squeezed my hand again.

'Mel!!'
'Mel!! A PHOTO PLEASE!?'
'WHAT HAPPENED THAT NIGHT MEL?'
'A QUOTE PLEASE MEL?!!'

With James in front, Paul behind and Police either side we were quickly ushered inside the building.
"Thank you guys!!" I thanked James and Paul. "Babe...they need a pay rise!!"
"Granted!" Agreed Gary.

I was not at all familiar with court proceedings, but as the preliminary sessions had already been done this was it...the final verdict was due today. Gary's beating was not even mentioned but he was due to give evidence today too.
We were shown into a small room, where Gary formally introduced our Barister Peter Lake.
He often represented celebrities, so he was no fool in the business.
He talked us through the do's and dont's and assured me the defendant wouldn't be anywhere near me. Gary could be with me at all times, apart from in the box.
He told me what the defendants lawyer may try to make me say, but just tell the truth and all would be ok.

The door opened and we were called to court no 1.
It was like walking on death row to the court room, Gary never left my side. As the door opened I took a deep breath and puffed it out.
"Ok...? You don't feel sick do you? Worried Gary. I shook my head.
The time in that court room was definately an experience I never want to repeat.

Seeing that 'man' again made me gag. But the fact he was behind Perspex was heartening. And I felt safe next to Gary holding his hand, but if looks could kill...Sean would be a dead man!
After I read my oath I was questioned by both parties and the evidence was put to the court. Unbeknown to me the bands management had installed CCTV in the villa, so all was caught on tape. It showed Sean entering the bathroom behind me and grabbing my waist.
I glanced at Gary and saw tears streaming down his face and anger pursed on his lips. I squeezed his hand, which he responded the same.
Gary took the stand describing what he'd witnessed which corresponded with the CCTV too. I was so proud of him, he kept his cool throughout, despite wanting to finish what he started.
One of the hardest parts was listening to Sean's Barister, firing untrue statements at Gary, trying to trip him up. He was overruled a few times for bringing Gary's beating into it, when it wasn't Gary on trial.

The other was hearing Sean relay his side of the story..the lies he spout about what had happened and that I had wanted it and.....blah blah...blah..............

I could feel myself becoming dizzy...I drunkingly swung my hand round to Gary, I could vaguely see his lips moving but could hear a word....the court adjourned as slid sideways onto the floor of the court....out cold!

Cont.....in pt 2