Chapter forty five

"Here you go Baby!" Gary passed me my cup of tea.
"Aww...you make the best cuppa ever!!" I said as I sipped the warm liquid.
He removed his clothes and climbed into bed beside me.
"You don't have to come to bed if you don't want to, I'm just getting old I guess." I pouted.
"Nah!..honestly I'm exhausted myself and I wanted to go over these lyrics again, and having you near me helps" he sat back and leaned against the headboard and opened his big black book and tapped his head with a pencil.
I suddenly started to giggle..
"What's up with you??" Gary smiled at me
"I just stood back and looked at us both in bed by 10pm, me drinking tea and you with your head in a book. All show biz hey?!"
"Aye.....you're right, couple of old fuddy duddys us!" That accent will be the death of me I swear!
I took my last gulp of tea and turned off the bedside light.
"Night Baby!" I said leaning over to kiss him.
"Night my angel " he replied and honoured my kiss.

As my eyes opened, it was still dark...I sleepily turned over to Gary, but he was missing from the bed.
"Gary?!" I shouted......nothing!
I squinted at the Clock Radio 3:41am
I got up and wandered out of our room and looked in the bathroom and listened for any sign of him, I could hear faint snoring coming from downstairs.
Descending the stairs I wondered where he was? A light was on in the studio. "Gary??" I spoke softly.
I pushed open the door and the room was empty. Listening again I followed the sound to the lounge...there he was slumped over the piano.
"Geeesssuuuus, Gary!" I said aloud. I approached him and rubbed his back. "Gary??? Baby???"
He awoke with a start, the notes Plinky plonked from the piano as he lifted his head. "Eh?!! What??!!" Gary looked puzzled.
"It's ok! it's me??? you fell asleep on the piano??? come on Mr OBE! BEDTIME!!" I ordered
"But...But I need to....." He protested
"NO....No buts......BED!" I pointed upstairs

I woke with a really sore throat...so it wasn't the singing after all. Gary was still asleep, I left him to get some rest and went downstairs, I popped on the radio and made some toast, grabbed a cup and pushed the button on the tassimo machine Gary had bought me.
Singing quietly to myself I threw some painkillers down my throat and washed it down with my coffee. I hated being ill.
Gary's phone buzzed on the breakfast bar, I wasn't one to check peoples phone messages, but I picked it up to look at the sender. The display said JOHN-Man (Gary's manager).

[TUT......HE'S SLEEPING ...... GO AWAY!]

After doing some chores and sorting some more boring boxes from the move, I went back upstairs, Gary was still asleep and snoring softly, he looked so snug and peaceful with the duvet pulled up round his ears.

[SO PERFECT.....SLEEPING BARLOW]

I kissed him ever so lightly on his forehead careful not to wake him..
Retreating back downstairs, I curled up on the sofa and put on the telly. I caught up with a few programmes I had sky plused over Christmas and sipped my coffee.

The doorbell rang, placing down my coffee cup I checked through the spyhole at the caller. It was Mark and he looked upset with red eyes. I opened the door..
"Mark?? What's up? Come in?" I placed a hand on his bicep tenderly.
"Thanks!" He sniffed.
"Sit down Hunny....I'll get you a coffee!" I gestured towards the sofa.
I popped to the kitchen and made him a coffee from the machine.

"Here!" I said handing him his cup and muting the tv.
"Where's Gary?!" He said looking around.
"Oh he's still sleeping...which I found kind of odd....as he doesn't normally sleep well at all!" I thought aloud.
"Oh...." Mark said sadly.
I moved onto the sofa next to him."Whats up Mark? You look upset! ...tell me?!"
"Me and Vic.....had a fight" he said
"Oh Hunny! Tell me about it ...."
"Well ...now looking back I don't really know what or how it started, but we got onto the subject of touring and stuff, she said she agreed with Julie about working far to much.." He sniffed again.
"Aww....look, we as other halves always feel second best to your careers....just this morning I had to drag Gary back to bed as he fell asleep on the piano keys!"
Mark sipped his coffee.
I continued " sometimes in the heat of the argument we use the ammunition that we know will hurt the other person. Arguements are a sure sign that the other person cares enough to worry about you."
"Mmmm...I spose that makes sense!" He nodded
I smiled sweetly at him. "Just let her cool down, she will be fine, BOTH of you will be fine." I ruffled the back of his hair. "Besides...an argument is the best thing for writing great lyrics!" Mark laughed.

"Mmmm...if you don't mind..can I go into the studio for a while?" He finished his coffee.
"Course you can......anytime!"
"Thanks for the coffee!" He said as he rose from the sofa and made his way to the studio..
"Welcome!" I said quietly after him.

Gary's phoned buzzed again, I glanced at the display and knitted my eyebrows VICKI. I decided it was probably about Mark, so I opened the message.

GARY.....IS MARK WITH YOU? WE HAD WORDS AND I SAID SOME REALLY WRONG THINGS, HE STORMED OUT, I DUNNO WHERE HE IS? BIT WORRIED! V x
I tapped in a reply...
VIC...ITS MEL, MARK IS HERE DONT WORRY, WE HAD A CHAT ABOUT IT AND HES OK. DO YOU WANNA COME ROUND? OR I CAN GET HIM TO RING YOU? M x
A minute or so later the reply came back....
HI MEL, NO ITS OK, ILL COME OVER IF THATS OK? V x
I text back....
YES SURE THATS FINE, COME OVER ANYTIME. M x

I made Mark another coffee and took it to the studio to tell him Vicki was coming over.
He was in the booth singing some beautiful lyrics...
[ GEE...SOMEONE SHOULD BE RECORDING THIS...]
I placed down the coffee cup and sat at the mixing desk and listened to him sing..I scanned the desk for a 'RECORD' button of some description. I found one that said 'record booth' so I pressed it. A red light came on above the booth ... I smiled pleased as punch...I was learning.
His soft voice and beautiful lyrics brought tears to my eyes, he sang so sweetly..and knowing he'd just had an argument with Vicki made it all the more meaningful.