Chapter fifty five

I followed Gary to the door as Howard scooped Tilly up into his arms.
"Errr....hello?" Gary said peering round the door.
It was the two officers that came to take the statement about the phone calls.
"Oh...Sorry to bother you Mr Barlow...Miss Evans...I see you are having a gathering, so we won't keep you at the door."
"Oh it's my birthday and I have some friends round??? is there a problem?" Gary said
"Oh...no no no...nothing like that, we've just popped round to return miss Evans' phone. We have finished with all the forensics,recovered all the data from it and it's been wiped clean..you will need a new SIM card and number on it though." They handed over the phone in a clear plastic bag marked 'evidence.'
"Oh ok!" I said "thank you so much for all your help!"
"You are very welcome Miss...oh and Many Happy Returns Mr Barlow!" They both smiled.
"Uh!! Thanks." Gary said as he closed the door.
"SHIT! I thought I was being hauled away on my birthday then?!" He laughed.
"I thought Mel had organised strippers!!" Roared Howard.
"Ewwwww....those two???" I said breaking the awkward atmosphere.

Sam and Vicki had both popped in to see Gary for his birthday, Sam even treated him to a funny lapdance, That had us all roaring with laughter. They had left about an hour ago escorting a drunkun Howard and Markie home, Mark had actually been thrown into the backseat as he couldn't even stand. Howard had swayed side to side until he fell in the flower bed.

"Night Hun!" Said Anna as her and Jay were leaving. "Yer...fannks vorr deee paaarrrteee!" Jay slurred. Anna just shook her head and said to Jason ...."come on!! Piss head!!......HOME!!"
Just myself, Marge and Ian were left up. Gary had taken the girls home to Julie's In a taxi.
"Excuse me if I kick off my shoes!" I said flomping down on the sofa.
"GOD...me too." Said Marge. "Those girls run us raggid!"
Ian yawned..."I'm off to bed too I think, if you don't mind? Say goodnight to Gaz for me, won't you?"
"Sure!" I said yawning too. "Thanks for coming...Gary was elated."
"Aww..no worries, don't see my bruv nearly enough these days! So had to see him on his birthday........night Ma!" He said kissing her cheek.
"And congrats again Mel!" He smiled and kissed my cheek too.
"Aww...thanks Ian" I smiled back.
"Night!" He said ascending the stairs.
"Night..." We both said together back to him.

"Listen..." Marge turned slightly towards me in her chair. "I am very happy for you both...but I did notice you haven't a ring?"
I instinctively looked down at my left hand.
"Uh.....No...I don't!" I said, wondering why myself.
"Well I've spoken to Gary about this....and he's as stubborn as his father was and refusing....but" she played with her own rings.
"Marge!?" I asked
She removed her engagement ring. "I want you to have this"
"Ohhhhhh....no no no no no....!!!" I protested
"Look, without getting sentimental, I don't need it anymore, It was passed down from Colin's side, so I want it to go on down. Ian's wife already had one when they announced their engagement, so it goes to Gary. I'm just soooo glad I never gave it to that bitch!" She grinned.
Gary came in through the front door.
"They were asleep by the end of town!" He said...then stopping as soon as he saw us discussing the ring. "What's that?!.....MUM!...I thought I said no!"
"Listen to me Gary!" She stood up and walked to him placing her hands on both his lower arms. "I know how much you loved your dad, but I don't need a ring of gold to remember him...I still have his wedding ring..and I will never take that off...as I said until death...which I meant, when I said it....losing your dad was the darkest time of my life, as it was for all of us, but this was passed down from his mother to me and I want it to go on to you and Mel....please son?" She turned over his hand and placed the ring into his palm, then closed his long fingers around it.
With tears in his eyes he squeaked "I honestly don't know what to say Mum." And tried to blow away the tears with a deep sigh.
"Don't say anything Gary...just put it on the finger of the one you love." She stepped back, we were all crying now.

Gary opened his hand and stared At the sparkling diamond ring, picking it up in his fingers and moving it so it caught the light.
For one awful second I didn't think he was gonna do it.
Then he looked up, tears streaming down his cheeks. My eyes blurred for a second..so I blinked the wetness away.
Marge reached out and took my right hand..as if to give her permission to marry her son.
He then knelt down on his right knee, doing it the right way.
"Melissa Mary Evans?.... Will you do me the greatest honour of becoming my wife?"
Another tear rolled down my face.....taking my mascara with it. Marge squeezed my hand.
"Yes Gary....yes I would be honoured to become your wife!" He stood up and Marge dropped my hand.
He pushed the ring on my ring ringer, and as fate provided....it fit perfectly.

He pulled me in close till our bodies touched, all the while not taking his eyes off mine, he reached up and held each side of my face...our lips barely touched...but that was the most romantic kiss we'd ever shared.

"Night night my loves!" Whispered Marge and placed a hand lightly on both our backs. We never broke eye contact or even moved...this moment was ours......and ours alone.