Chapter twenty seven

"Oh Anna, he's been wonderful. I'm so happy!" I almost welled up again. "It's so good to hear your voice."
"And yours" she sniffed.
"Now who's a soppy date?!" I joked.
"You ok with tomorrow and all?" She sniffed again.
"I'm scared shitless to be honest, but Gary's been great about it" I sipped my cup of tea.
"You do realise the press will have a field day, don't you?" She warned me.
"Yeah! I gathered so, not sure they know about us yet, as we've been away and all."
"You are joking right??" Anna sounded puzzled.
"Eh? What?....what you on about?"
"Mel?!....have you not seen any papers or magazines?
"Ummmm no, think we had a chronicle delivered..why you been in ok! Magazine have you? I sniggered
"Mel! Someone on the beach leaked pics to the press before ok! published our pics, some of them featured you and Gary staring into each other's eyes when you were walking back up the aisle. The headline was 'GAZ's HOT NEW FLAME'
"Oh fuck!" Gary looked at me puzzled.
"Someone near the villa also heard all the commotion and managed to get details, the press weren't to friendly I'm afraid. To either of you." Anna paused.
"Tell me!!!!" I demanded
"Mel...I don't think...." I cut her off. "TELL ME!!!!"
"Well they said you led Gary into a threesome, he backed out and got aggressive with the other bloke."
"What!!!?? Well surely the Police would have wanted to speak to Gary in that case....surely?" I tried to make sense.
"Well that's the press for you...they don't know the real facts...so they make it up!! He has been reported as saying the sex was consential and Gary just flipped."

"Oh Crap!! That's not true..." Tears stung my eyes.
Gary snatched away the phone from me and demanded Anna tell him what she had said to me.
I flopped down on the bed and cried my eyes out.

"FUCKING TWAT!! How dare he?!......Ok Anna ..see you in the morning......" he hung up.
"Mel....Baby.....come here!" He fell to his knees and folded me in his arms.
"Gary, this never should have happened, I got you into this....all this shit.....you should go...I'm just trouble!" I blubbered
"Listen here you....I know you....and I believe you....the Jury will too. We have excellent lawyers and he doesn't stand a chance. I would have kicked the shit out of anyone that tried to touch you like that! Fucking rapists need their cocks sliced off!!" He got so angry.
"I'm so sorry for getting you into this..I never meant this to happen..maybe if I had just kept quiet then...."
"Mel!!" Gary tried to stop me.
"I've ruined your bloody career....I'm so fucking stoopid!!!" Now I got angry with myself.
"STOP IT MELISSA!!!" Gary shook me by the shoulders. " I don't care about anything but you....I love you and we are both in this together...like it or not!!!! Get me???"
I melted back into his arms...devastated.

The rest of the night was a haze, I'd cried myself to sleep with Gary cuddling into my back. The Chinese was forgotten about.
The buzz of the alarm woke me with a start at 8 am. My stomach churned as I sat up and I ran to the toilet to throw up.
"Shit.... Mel!!!" Gary was up and close behind me. "I swear that man will fucking pay for this!" He held back my hair with one hand and rubbed my back with the other.
When I was done, I splashed water on my face, the reflection in the mirror wasn't me...it was someone old....bedraggled....and a shade of green with red puffy eyes from crying all night.
"Ok?!" Gary hugged me tightly and didn't let me go till I pulled away. "Come on Baby...let's get you dressed."

[ HOW THE HELL COULD HE LOVE ME?]

Gary tenderly led me to the bedroom and slowly helped me dress, before running a brush through my long brunette hair. He then sat me on the sofa while he got dressed. I heard his phone ring.
It was Anna, checking up on me, I heard him say I was a complete mess and hardly slept all night and just cried....
He then shut the bedroom door..so I didn't hear the rest of the conversation. I just started ahead at nothing.

- What if he told lies about me?
- What would my reaction be when I saw him?
- What if the Jury believed him?
- What if I fainted or threw up?
- What would happen to Gary?
- What if I had ruined his career?
- Would he leave me?
- Could I ever recover from this?

Gary jolted me out of my daze by placing a hand on my shoulder. "Time to go Baby!" He smiled offering his support.
I know I would never be able to get through this without him.