Chapter Eighty Four

....but wait...Gary sounded worried about something..he was calling for me..I had to get to him!

[A WHITE ROOM..HANG ON, THIS ISNT THE DOCTORS ROOM...OR THE TOILET...WHERE...WHERE AM I.]

I turned my head, wincing at the pain in my neck.
"Anna??" I blinked..
"Hmm?" She was dozing in the chair beside me. "MEL!!!" She jumped up and rushed over, making me jump too. "Sorry!! Sorry?!!" She stoked my hair..I looked around the room where I was ...

[WHY AM I IN A BED??]

"Where am I?? Why am I in bed?? What the .... Why are you here?" The machine next to me was beeping loudly and my eyes followed the wires till they met with the back of my hand. "What's that??  Ow my head!!! Anna!!! What's happening???!!"
"Shhhhh...shhhhhhh...deep breaths...." She tried to calm me.
Then I remembered Gary.
"Gary!!!...he...needed me....WHERES GARY? I need Gary!!"
"Shhhh...please.....shhhhh. He's fine...he went to get a coffee...shhhhhh"

A nurse entered the room and pressed a few buttons on the Beepy machine. "Welcome back Mrs Barlow." She smiled.

[WHO?......WHAT??]

"Who?...oh..yeah..I married him didn't i?!" I asked Anna.
"Yes you did Babe" she smiled.
"You certainly did Mrs Barlow...a few thousand girls hearts broke when he announced it!" She said whilst checking some machines and jotting some notes on the file at the bottom of my bed.

Gary entered the room carrying 2 cardboard cups of coffee...plonking them down on the bedside table as soon as he saw I was awake.
"MEL! Baby! Oh my god! You scared the crap outta me!" He smothered me in kisses.
The nurse interrupted is by saying "the doctors been bleeped and is on his was to speak to you both..ok? Don't excite her too much Mr...er...I mean Gary" he must have met her already and told her to not call him Mr Barlow.

After a few minutes the doctor joined us all in my side room.
"Welcome back Mrs Barlow" nodding to acknowledge us "Mr Barlow.." flicking through my notes he ummed and ahhed.
"I'll just wait outside....." Anna excused herself and left the room with a last squeeze of my hand.
"Right well we've done some baseline tests and it seems your not eating has developed into anaemia, and the excess vomiting led to you becoming severely dehydrated.
Gary winced "so why was she so sick in the first place?"
"Well it seems your HCG levels are through the roof..which can commonly cause severe vomiting in the first and sometimes into second trimester.
"My what??? Please use simple language." Tears rolled down my face.
"What Is HCG? First and second what?" Gary's voice began to raise. I squeezed his hand.
"I gather this wasn't a planned pregnancy then?" The doctor chuckled writing down more notes on my file.

"WHAT? She's PREGNANT???" Gary spat?!
"Oh my good god!" I was what??????? "Gary!!" He looked as confused as I did.
"But...but you've been on the pill...haven't you?" He looked round to me.
"Um....yeah...yes I have...how? How is this possible?"

Well vomiting can reduce the effectiveness of the contraceptive pill, which is why well advised to use other precautions when you suffer stomach upsets. Have you been having any periods?"
"Umm...I ..err...I don't know, I thought the pill was messing them up!" I frowned
"Ok....well not to worry ...we will arrange a scan and that will tell us how pregnant you are...but initial blood tests suggest you actually are quite far along already....or a multiple pregnancy of course." He smiled at me.
"What??????" My mind was reeling "multiple??!!"
"It's fine...don't worry..it's all very normal...you just need to look after yourself a bit better...starving yourself isn't good for baby or yourself! I'll sort out some pain relief for that head and organise that scan...meanwhile get some rest please...doctors orders!" He wagged a finger. "Nurse Simmons ... Get some food in her...." I heard him say as they left the room.

We were stunned into silence......

"A Baby????" Gary sat on the bed next to me..
"I'm ...sorry! I didn't plan it..believe me...please!" I was scared he would be angry.
"Don't be silly! I know that!!! Are you pleased?" He sounded unsure.
"I ...I don't know what to think..are you?"
"Are you kidding me?!!! I'm made up!! I love you so much and now we are blessed with a baby!! Things couldn't be better!!" He flung his arms around me and we both started to cry...with happiness...relief.

A knock on the door, revealed Anna and Jason with little Maddison.
"Oh my GOD!  Please say it's not bad news!!!" Anna saw us both bawling and assumed the worst.
Gary stood and wiped his eyes..holding my hand he turned to them and told them our news.

After the initial celebration. Jason said "Wow! Didn't know you guys were even trying??" He handed Maddison in her car seat to Anna to hug us both.
"Neither did we?!!!" Gary cooed.
"When???" Anna asked.
"We don't know yet! They say my thingy levels are high..so I'm either further on than expected or it multiple!" I frowned.
"TWINS" Jason shouted
"Or triplets!!" Anna threw in
"Oh please no!!!!" I protested.
"More the merrier" Gary grinned.
"But the wedding??? I was drinking!!" I was petrified it had hurt the baby.

A few more minutes of silence fell on the room.

"Hey...Mel! I want you to meet our little one..." Anna Suddenly remembered Maddison was sleeping in her seat.
"Aww...don't wake her Babe!" I protested
"Aw no worries she's due a feed anyway..." Anna smiled scooping her up in her arms.

"Maddi....this is your Auntie Mel" she smoothly placed her child into my waiting open arms.
"I whispered "oh my God An ..... She just perfect...Gaz, look...." He bent down and stroked her face..
"Lordy ... Jay.. she's a spit of you mate"
We cooed for ages...as she happily gurgled away.
"Oh..think someone needs a new nappy!!" Gary screwed up his nose.
"What???? Argh!!! I just did that one?? Come on stinky!!!" He grabbed the change bag and Gary lifted her into his arms.
Aw he looked so cute holding a newborn...