Chapter One Hundred and Twelve

That was the last time we had the girls before Christmas. The news from John about the charity gig was all good and we raised over £2,000 for the family. Gary had been to a presentation evening and presented the cheque to them.

Christmas was to be held at our house again this year. We loved opening our house to all our friends and family. After all that's what Christmas was all about.

Gary and I decided we wanted to take another little holiday before All the Christmas madness. 2 weeks in Cyprus seemed a good option. A lovely family time in the warm December sunshine.

Halfway through the first week we received a very distressing phone call.

"Calm down Mate! I can't understand you when you rattle it all off in one breath!" Gary frowned at me and mouthed 'Mark' as he's sensed my concern. He got up from his sunbed and took the call inside.

I continued to splash water at Taylor and his squealed got louder and louder. Taylor asked for a drink so we got out the pool and I wrapped him in a towel as we walked to the sunbed. Handing him his beaker I cuddled him tight to keep him warm. I still lived that baby smell on his damp blonde hair.

Away in my dream world I didn't hear Gary come back outside.

"That was Mark." He said quietly, but still managed to make me jump.

"He ok?" I said without looking at Gary's face, which if I had would have clearly explained he wasn't ok?"

"Um....No." Sensing the tone of his voice I turned to face Gary. Only then did I see the horror in his eyes.

"Oh My God! Gary what's hap...Vicki...the Bab...Oh God No!"

I stood up and walked to him carrying Taylor.

"She's lost the Baby Mel." Was all he could say as his voice broke.

"OH MY GOD NO!" I clamped a hand to my mouth muffling my sob.

Gary scooped the unbeknowing Taylor from my arm and just hugged him as tears fell silently down his cheeks. He wrapped a spare arm around me and pulled me into his bare chest. How? Why? Why does this happen to good people?

Later that evening after Taylor had gone to bed, we lay together on the couch staring out into the cooling sunset on the Cypriot horizon.

As I lay in Gary's arms he stroked my hair softly.

"He said she started bleeding, so he raced her to the hospital. The next thing they knew they were being told the baby had died." He went over his phone call from Mark earlier in the day.

"Poor Vicki...Poor Mark...it's so awful...that baby was so wanted." I tried to make sense of it all.

"Vicki is blaming herself..saying it was the alcohol back in early pregnancy."

"No! No! She can't go saying that..."

"I know! The doctors say it's highly unlikely that was a cause and it's just one of those sad things...I said I'd go back to be with them both. But Mark insisted we stay for the rest of the holiday."

"Course we would...Do you want to go home? I'm with you whatever you chose."

"I don't know what good would it do?"

"I don't know...How's Vicki?...you know is she...well? Did he say?"

"I think she's had the baby now, Mark was trying to sort funeral arrangements..I don't know ...he's a mess!"

"At least he has the rest of the boys there.."

"Yes, he said John was helping them too. Jay and Anna are popping in to make sure they are eating etc!" He pushed up on my shoulder to indicate he wanted to get up.

Pulling myself up to sitting, Gary got up and put both hands on top his head. "GOD THIS IS AWFUL!" He turned to thump both fists against the wall. Making me jump.

I stood immediately and walked up behind him placing my left hand between his shoulder blades and my right around his waist as he rested his head against the wall. Planting a soft kiss on his upper back I whispered. "We have to be strong for both of them...we all need to be strong.

"I know! Why does it have to happen to good peoples though ... I just....Grrrrrrr....why?"

"I don't know....Look we can go back if you want to be with him."

"I don't know??? What can I do to make it better?" He turned to me and we just held each other as we leaned against the wall.

"It sounds like they are in great hands, I don't think we could do anything. We just need to be strong for them for the funeral. I don't suppose they know when that we be yet?"

"He didn't say..I think they need to do tests and things." Gary's face said a thousand words.

"Oh god! I just can't imagine what they must be feeling!"

"I just keep thinking about Taylor and the girls!" Gary said

"I know...I just hope Mark and Vicki make it through this...lots of relationships break up from less traumatic things than this don't they?"

"Let's hope so hey?"