Chapter. Sixty Four

He had picked up some bits for himself though in various shops we'd been in, some new shoes, some really sexy jeans and a new aftershave.
"Certainly Mr Barlow! ... Nancy!!!" The shop assistant said calling to the back of the shop.
"Hmmmmm" a voice came back.
"Some customers need a fitting please Nancy?!"
"Eh?" She said waddling into sight. "Err oh ....my.....shhh.."
"Please can you find Miss Evans something suitable for a formal occasion?"
"Errrrmmmm ... Yeah....of course!!" She stammered." Follow me please?!"
Gary flopped down into the chair they always put there for bored partners, and dropped his bags.
"All this for a damn party!" he sighed not realising he'd said it aloud.
"Any particular occasion?? the lady said coming around his side of the desk.
"Ooh!" Gary jumped in the chair, not realising she'd come so close.
"Sorry!" She said placing a hand on his shoulder.
Feeling slightly uncomfortable Gary rose from the chair and tried moving away from the woman, only for the woman to follow his every move, backing away.
"Errr..." He said slightly stressed. "Any luck Darling!!????" He called out to me trying to put the woman off.

"Yeah!!" I called back unaware what was happening in the front of shop. " I love this one!! I just need shoes."
"Well hurry up.....not got all day!" He shouted nervously now stuck against the wall, with the woman bearing down on him with a glint in her eye.
"Gary.....you know I wouldn't say a thing!" The woman whispered.
"Ermmm...im ok thanks!" He flashed a fake grin.
"Haven't you ever fancied snogging a cougar!?" She grinned wider.
"Ermmmm...no thanks!" He said sliding along the wall knocking off a picture.
"OH GARY!!! I love this one....it's........" I said coming out the changing room to show him..stopping short as I see him stood against the wall with the woman about to pounce.
"What the FUCK do you think you are doing?!" I strode over to them as the woman backed off.
"Ooooh....Gary was just telling me how he preferred the more MATURE of lady!" The woman smirked.
"Eeerrrr.... No I didn't!" He held up both his hands in protest.

"GET YOUR FUCKING WRINKLY MITTS OFF HIM!!! OR I WILL ADD 20 MORE WRINKLES ON YOUR FUCKING FACE THAT WERENT THERE BEFORE!!! DRESS OR NO FUCKING DRESS!!!" I saw the red mist descend.

" hahahahahahahaha" she laughed mocking me. " yes I'm sure the press would love that!!!" She smirked again.
"THATS IT BITCH!" I lunged.

"Wooooahhh!" Gary immediately stood between us facing me ... "MEL!" He saw my anger and whispered to me. "She's right..the Paps would go savage over this, now go get changed......." He lifted my chin to face him and stared into my eyes. "....please????"
His eyes had an immediate calming effect.
I returned to the booth and took off the dress and shoes and threw them in a heap on the floor. I put on my own clothes as quickly as I could and re-joined Gary in the front of the shop, who was waiting by the front door. The woman was back behind her counter.
As we turned to exit the shop the woman said out loud ...so I could hear.... "Thanks for the KISS Gary!"
Gary squeezed my hand tight and slowly turned to face the woman. "There was NO kiss! ..... That camera (points) will prove that, and by the way.....you know I was on the phone just then????? you'd better pack up your belongings LUV as I've just reported you for harassment...City CCTV have a copy of the tape, and you will be expecting a visit from the Police about.....(sirens) .......now!!!! GOOD DAY TO YOU!!!"
"Oh my god!!!" I said as we walked away.
"Didn't like purple on you anyway!" He turned to me and winked.

We walked up the road a bit and decided we needed a coffee to calm down. We popped into a small coffee shop just off the Main Street.
I ordered 2 lattes while Gary sat at a small table for 2.
Rejoining Gary I placed my head in my hands "who knew this would be that stressful?"
"You know I didn't right?" He said quietly.
"Course I know! And you know I would have smacked her one don't you?!" I grinned.
"Are we ever going to have an uneventful shopping trip????" He sighed...

The barista placed our drinks down on the table..and I thanked him.
"Err...Mr Barlow?" He said
"Yes Mate!" Gary said half heartedly stirring his coffee.
"Urmmm...the girls are too shy to come over, and they don't want to disturb either of you. But on your way out, would It be possible for you to allow them a picture and autograph?"
"Hahaha...yes that's fine! Thank them for their privacy for me will you?" Gary smiled.
"I will Thank-you Gary." He said returning to the now gathered female members of staff behind the counter.

"Now that's more like it!" Gary said ".....much nicer than cougars trying to rip my pants off!!"
We both giggled lightening the mood.