𝟕𝟗.

Cole Pov

.........................................................

Rain fell heavily from the sky. Booms of thunder could be heard. Flashes of lightning could be seen in the dark clouds that surrounded New Orleans. The worst of the storm was in the French Quarter. The wind continued to blow rainwater around the empty flooded streets.

Walking into the compound had not been a joy like it usually was. No one had called me here but I could sense something was wrong I just didn't know what.

Seeing Elijah talking to Klaus in what looked like the entrance to the library I went over to them to see what exactly was going on. Not knowing could be the difference between life and death, that was just a simple fact. Especially in the world I lived in now.

"Has something happened?" I asked, curious as to why it was so quiet here. Usually, there would be sounds of laughter and causal chatter. The sound of breakfast being cooked in the kitchen. But there was nothing but the sound of the two brothers quietly talking.

"Do you know Jake, Luna's friend?" Elijah asked after straightening his suit jacket.

Did I know Jake? No, not really. I had seen him a few times. Yesterday when I was warming Luna up she told me that she and Jake had been having problems with the kiss and all. Which was totally understandable.

"Why?" I asked and Klaus sighed shifting his feet. Judging by the dark circles under his eyes he hadn't slept. Elijah looked the same; worn down, tired, somber facial expressions. Something bad had happened.

"Jake was killed last night."

My heart dropped. Not for me but for Luna. Losing someone you loved and cared about was a painful thing to go through and experience. I should know. Losing Phoebe had almost killed me. If it hadn't been for Madeline I probably would have been dead, and that was the truth.

"How? Where was his body found?"

"We don't know but if I had to guess it was some dark spell. His body was found where Madeline was killed, a secluded warehouse by the docs." Said a dark-skinned man who I recognized as Marcel.

"How is she?" Asked Klaus stepping forward.

I assumed he was asking about Luna, judging by the worried look on his face.

Marcel shook his head. "All I can say is that she is her mother's daughter."

"What do you mean by that?" I asked even though I had known Madeline that could mean a lot of things.

"I mean she isn't acting normal as anyone else would. From what I've seen she hasn't shed a single tear so-"

"She's bottling it up, just like her mother used to," I said cutting him off and he nodded. Whenever Madeline bottled things up whether they were feelings of jealousy, anger, or sadness they always came out. And the way they came out was explosive, dangerous. It was like a power boost for her magic. Not that she did it on purpose. She did it to avoid getting hurt, to avoid feeling pain. It didn't last forever but it lasted long enough until she was ready to let it all out, and deal with it.

Klaus and Elijah were still confused.

"Bottling it up?" Questioned Klaus looking between the two of us, waiting for an explanation.

"When Madeline lost someone important to her she wouldn't cry, at least not a first. What she would do is bottle it up inside of her. Almost like a ticking time bomb. She was particularly dangerous at this time, mainly because she couldn't control her powers, her magic. Luna must have inherited this from her. Bottling up something inside of you be in grief or sadness doesn't hurt as much when you express it out in the open. If she is doing this it is because she doesn't want to feel the pain of losing him." I said and Marcel nodded agreeing with me.